• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New toy

m38nut

Your truck looks great ! MWM is a great parts supplier for sure. Can't wait to see your winch on the front now ! Great progress on your truck, keep the pictures rolling !

pwrwagonfire

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I'm sorry to report that progress has been slow. For about 5 weeks my M-37 has been at the shop getting a little bit of work done. Fuel line replaced and carb cleaned up (going for a re-build in the spring, so gas doesn't sit all winter), now the stalling and hesitation issues are behind us.

Got the steering box seal and lower cover ordered from MWM, and new valve cover gaskets to stop the oil leaking. Should be done this week or next week I HOPE.

Told the guys no rush thats why it's sat so long. They aren't charging storage, and I've been super busy with work, no time to play. When it comes home, it'll be put into storage for the winter.

Having my friend weld a piece of the PTO back together this week it looks like. I've been able to acquire a Braden MU-2 winch off a civi PW, and I think I'll be using that instead of the LU-4. Personal preferences, I've used a MU-2 quite a bit at work and its pretty robust.

Hopefully more updates coming down the pipeline!

Happy holidays!

Last edited:

pwrwagonfire

Well this past Saturday the truck was delivered to a warehouse to be stored for the winter. Here are some photographs of the truck right before it was stored, to show the year's progress.

Happy holidays to everyone on SS!

Attachments

Last edited:

pwrwagonfire

pwrwagonfire

Several years ago I traded some parts with SS member maddawg308 to procure this M-37 power take off.Today is the day, I finally unpacked it out of the basement. Tomorrow it is going to the garage of a friend who is going to weld the broken ear back on it for me.I am gonna de-grease it and chip all the crud off as well. Hope to have it installed on my truck in the spring, even if the winch doesn't make it to the front bumper yet...one less thing!

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

Well, picked up my PTO today. The piece that was broken turned out to be cast so it was a pain, but it got done! Very nicely I might add...seeing as it's just a pivot point for the PTO shift lever, it must have been droped/broken when it was being removed from the truck I can assume. De-greased and chiseled a lot of grime off it of this evening after work. Before it gets installed I will go at it again

Attachments

SP5

Read thru the entire thread, your labor of love sure looks great. BTW, that front-end joint is called a "Tracta" joint, and was used in several Dana front-ends up into the early '70s.

macibell111

That is an originaltop ,a friend of mine has one ,about yhe samer shape yours is in ,his has 2700 miles on it . His was in bodega bay calif and it is a gem, congradulations on your find!!!

pwrwagonfire

I got the M-37 out of storage yesterday, ran very well but still having the issue with the carb jets.

Today I got rid of the oil leakage problem. My oil pump/engine block gasket was destroyed and leaking oil pretty substantially

I couldn't find the correct gasket number, so instead I got a sheet of fel-pro gasket paper and made one up...the one I made is on the left, original on the right..very happy with how it came out

I coated both sides with permatex aviation gasket, and it worked like a charm! Stopped the leak.

Tomorrow I'm installing a battery disconnect switch and maintainer.

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

My exhaust manifold is horribly cracked, and I was lucky enough to come across a take-off one for a 230. Today I gave it a few coats of Chrysler silver with manifold paint.

When my carb comes off (hoping this Sunday/Monday) I will be replacing the manifold along with the gasket.
while it's out of the way, I will be changing my valve cover gaskets as well...one appears to be wet currently, hoping now my truck will be oil tight!

This afternoon I installed a master kill switch for the battery, pictures to be uploaded latter!

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

Exhaust manifold is all dry and ready to be installed...it's almost too pretty to touch!

Got a new set of mounting studs and hardware coming from VPW as of this morning, and dropped off my carburetor at the carb shop for a complete overhaul

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

Today my girlfriend's brother helped me out by sandblasting some parts; I had him do the air cleaner support brackets and the intake manifold...they ended up beautiful. We can actually see the tooling marks from the factory.

After painting we used a diamond hone to very gently love the gasket surfaces

Going to sandblast my air cleaner elbow as well, but need to go out and get finer grit for it.

Picture #1 shows the manifold after sandblasting.
Picture #4 shows it after paint

Attachments

pwrwagonfire

It all came together today! Myself and 2 friends spent the afternoon/evening wrenching on the M-37 and got it complete!

Removed old exhaust manifold, removed old manifold studs and mounting hardware. Installed new set of studs from VPW, using high-temp permatex thread sealant. New valve cover gaskets, new exhaust gaskets.

Soaked my PCV valve and assembly in seafoam for the day, cleaned a lot of gunk out of it! The crank case vent is leaking a little now, but we can tighten that up this week.

All new brass nuts/bushings on the manifold from VPW. New coolant added. Also new temperature sending unit installed...nice to have a temp gauge again!

The truck PURRS.

Gotta get the air intake assembly sandblasted and installed this week, as well as an oil change.

Attachments