• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new truck

sixb

Well I just picked this thing up for 1201.50 out the door with tt&l:-D I am very pleased with it so far. It has 61k on the odo and a little rust on the cab corners but other than that it's near perfect and runs great plus came with a new steering box, tie rod ends, 4 new shocks, brand new front springs, drag link, wiper motor and a glow plug controler. So far I lost a alternator belt on it's maiden voyge home so I replaced all 3 and will be buying tires next week and putting on a receiver hitch so I can pull stuff. Some day I will put an over drive in it like a 5spd manual and a tilt column, other than that just use it for my hobbie farm and hunting/fishing.

Attachments

sixb

Thanks guys I really like it so far. I also have a 1st gen Dodge diesel I'm rebuilding for my old mans ranch. The Dodge has 10x more power than the old 6.2 but the chevy stops 100x better. The Dodge is 3.07 gears with a 3spd auto and well you all ready know what the k30 has and both are stock. I am baffeled why there are so many new parts on this truck, it makes no sence to me, it's a waste of tax payer money but I'm glad to have it.

Edit; It also has a new sway bar with all new bushings and yes the seat is also new not just seat covers:-D

Edit; They may be seat covers but really nicely done:-D

Last edited:

sixb

Well a couple days ago I put 4 new BFGs on it and had a local diesel shop advance the timing a bit to get help with a rattle at idle.
I now wish I had that money back cause it snowed yesterday and the truck won't start:roll:The gen1 light has been barley on for several days and the gauge was reading on the line between the yellow and green. Today I am going to pull the batteries and have them tested then the alternators at a local alternator shop.

Edit; also the cold start advance dosen't seem to work properly, the idle is way to high and if you give it gas it goes even higher and stays there.

There is no telling how long this truck has sat so hopefully there are only a few bugs to work out because I would like it to be a dependable truck I can take up in the mountains without having to walk out.

Last edited:

CUCV85

First get that throttle controlled, Check throttle control spring, check your throttle cable and pedal. You may have to replace cable?You believe it sat a while so check for fuel leaking at throttle shaft. There is o rings there that are prone to leaking. Work the cold advance solenoid (plunger) with wd40 etc to free up. Sometimes you just start the truck pop the hood get out and push your finger on the cold advance (plunger) it will extend and idle up for you. Use a flat tip screw driver to adjust. Gen 1 light is better than gen 2 :) Have any parts store with test machine or alternator shop test it. Both these generators (Alternators) have an isolated ground. stud. Check the ohm's at glow plugs, I hope you just have a battery issue not charging issue. Let us know:arrow:

sixb

First get that throttle controlled, Check throttle control spring, check your throttle cable and pedal. You may have to replace cable?You believe it sat a while so check for fuel leaking at throttle shaft. There is o rings there that are prone to leaking. Work the cold advance solenoid (plunger) with wd40 etc to free up. Sometimes you just start the truck pop the hood get out and push your finger on the cold advance (plunger) it will extend and idle up for you. Use a flat tip screw driver to adjust. Gen 1 light is better than gen 2 :) Have any parts store with test machine or alternator shop test it. Both these generators (Alternators) have an isolated ground. stud. Check the ohm's at glow plugs, I hope you just have a battery issue not charging issue. Let us know:arrow:
Thanks,

I did not find any fuel leaks.

I think the throttle cable is fine, when you push the throttle by hand it looks like the plunger is what is keeping it from coming back.

Also jumped it this morning and the cold advance didn't work at all but you could here a buzzing from some where in there but not sure where, it stopped before I could get my flash light for a closre look. I sprayed the plunger with wd40 and worked it in and out a few times and left it in and eventually it kicked it's self off.

There is a colant leak where an alumn. y pipe connects to the intake on the driver side.

Haven't checked the glow plugs with a meter yet but they must work good because it started right up with a jump in 28 degrees.

With the truck running the alt gauge is in the red and the head lights are real dim. The gen 1 light is still dim but it dosen't seem like either is charging.

My plan is still to have the batteries checked tonight after work.

Last edited:

CUCV85

:arrow:Are both your gen 1 and gen 2 indicator lights lighting up when you turn your key on? If no, wiggle the bulb holder in the back of the dash or replace a bulbs if burned out.
Good that the Cold start solenoid kicked back, that means the engine temp went up so it no longer needed to fast idle. Yes, getting those batteries tested is a great first move most all stores test and give you a printout now. Those alternators are more of a job to remove. Check all your fuses.
I've seen headlight connections get loose and the bulbs will dim. Sometimes it's a bad bulb! You can use a small screw driver to bend the 3 tabs inside the harness connection to grip the 3 metal connection posts of the headlight itself to see if that supplies more power to brighten them. Again, you may need new bulbs. Cheap bulbs from Advance Auto like 8.00 ea. The best I've seen and use are Silvania Silver Star. They should have them in stock.

Last edited:

sixb

Edit; Yes both gen lights work when the key is turned on.
Edit; Also think the dimness is due to bulb connection and will check that sometime soon but not near as dim with freshly charged batteries.

Well both batteries are good and fully charged now and all is working good but the gen 1 light is still dimley lit always and the gauge is still between the green and yellow. After a bunch of reading here this morning and last night it seems that I should check the connections on the driver side alternator and if all look good then pull it and have it checked.

I wonder if this was caused by losing the driver side alternator belt on the mayden voyage home with the truck? When I replaced the belt both lights would go away after start up and a little throttle also was charging in the green, but shortly after the gen 1 light troubles started and eventually killed the batteries.

Last edited:

jumpmasterjim

I had the belt thing happen to me on one of my 1009s. It seems the alternator would lock up and seize, throw the belt then work fine. You might want to take the belt off and spin the alt. pulley to see if it spins freely.

sixb

I had the belt thing happen to me on one of my 1009s. It seems the alternator would lock up and seize, throw the belt then work fine. You might want to take the belt off and spin the alt. pulley to see if it spins freely.
I will check that tonight when I pull the alternator for testing, the orignal belts were in really poor condition but never spun the pulley to see how well it turned, thanks.

sixb

Just checked with a meter and driver side alt is putting out 11.4 volts and pass side is at 14.7 volts so I guess that about seals the deal for the gen 1 alt. Will pull it tonight at home and take to rebuilder tomorrow to confirm it's bad and rebuild it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks