• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new water buffalo

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought this water buffalo today. From my research, I think it's a m149a2 with a stainless tank. Am I right?

The only other question I have is about the brakes. It appears to have a brake setup like a m105a2 (an emergency and a service line). I had planned on towing this thing home with my Dodge (deuce is in the shop at the moment). I've towed trailers with the service line only but not one with two lines. I know most civilain trailers with two air lines won't move without an air supply. So the question is, can I pull this thing home with my dodge (which obviously doesn't have air brakes)?

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as the thing looks like it's been sitting there, I'm fairly sure what air was ever in the tank is long gone. ;)

Looks like I'll be good to go then.

L999here

...like an M105 trailer..

Believe that the 'water-buffalo's' used the M105 frame. When you get it home,get one of the kids to scrub the interior with bleach and water. Make sure you tie a rope around whoever you send in...so you can get them out if the fumes get to them....LOL. Or have them wear an M17 gas mask or civilian equivalent....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah, no issues towing with no air.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice! It seems like you dont see many of these trailers around. what do people do with them? i know obviously haul water with them, maybe spray crops and fertilizer.... but what other uses are there? I still want to get a M105A2 someday (just because i want one and could use it for whatever) and think a water buffalo would be neat, but just dont know what i would do with it :twisted:

gunboy1656

I know of an M149a1 for sale for 200. The guy just does not want it or have a way to tow it. Remember it weighs 3K empty.They move it around with a forklift (not like how GL does it). No title. I passed on the offer, that I was given for it.

He had an M105, and I think he picked up an M103 trailer as well.

m16ty, if you need the manual for it let me know, I can email you one.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if you look closely at the pic, it's got "waste oil" stenciled on the side of the tank. So I'm not so sure I'd ever get it clean enough to want to drink out of it again. I may use it to water livestock or maybe just sell it. Only reason I picked it up was because it was close to home and reasonably priced.

hoop

Very good price....I am coming down next week and was going to bid on it, but I have too many irons in the fire now. If you have any problems with it shout and I will help. Driving the 109 on this trip....

aboonski

As a fellow M149A2 owner I want to congratulate you one your acquisition of the Water buffalo. I have one complete M149A2, one M149A2 minus the tank and one M149 that has a tank but I know it is not the correct tank for the trailer. For some reason I have always wanted one of these after drinking from one when we were out in the field at Homestead AFB Florida. I was a member of one of the medical mobility teams back then and we used an M149A2 for our canteen refills and for the water to heat up our MREs. As far as using my my water buffalo here at the house my plans are to haul potable water from the best source of supply in our area to the house to eliminate having to haul those cumbersome 5-gallon plastic bottles to and from the water supply place that we do business with now. The other water trailer will be used, along with a gas-driven pump for fire suppression. I live next to a forest with 75 foot high trees all around me. We are on well water (which is not the best to use for drinking or fighting fires) and having a backup system just for fire fighting seems a proper use for the extra tank. I use the primary M149A2 in parades and can easily change the faucet system from the auto-shutoff type to the regular spigot that you see on the outside of your home and this does not take long to accomplish. Application? to use as a water supply for a pressure washer and then you can also irrigate plants and shrubs around newly erected homes where running water may not be available yet. Here in Florida we are also plagued with hurricanes and a 400 gallon water supply is nice to have when the regular supply is in short supply! LOTS of uses for these things!

70deuce

At the last Denver airshow, our club used our water buffalo for a water supply for a 12 vot powered mister system the crowd could cool off under. It worked great and it was hot. We camped out for the weekend there and also used it for hand washing and head showers. My guess is we didn't even use 150 gallons for the weekend. I'm looking for pictures of the set up to post.

70deuce

Here is a picture of a few people enjoying the mist. You can sort of see how we set up. We strung a small rope between the kitchen trailer we had there and the water buffalo and clipped the misters to the rope. The 12 volt pump had plenty of push to really get flow and mist going. It was hooked to a marine battery which held up real nice for the weekend. August heat seems so far away now with a temp of 14 degrees here this AM.

Attachments