• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new winch

USMC4302

Arrived this weekend. It still had a truck attached to it, though.

I have an M-37-B1 truck W/W that didn't have it's winch. I found a decent donor vehicle. and now I have to figure out what I need to do to rejuvenate this Braden winch. The level that engages/disengages the winch is stuck. I soaked it down with PB Blaster this after noon and am letting it sit. Noob here -- What else should I take a look at/inspect before I tear into this and start removing the winch to move it to the other truck?

And yes, we have already covered the fact that my "good" truck is actually an Army truck painted in Marine Crops colors. How do you think we Marines make up our T/O shortfalls?? (hint: Army Gear Adrift ... :) Semper Fi!)

Thanks!

parts-truck.jpgwinch.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shaft of the engagement lever tends to rust tight, work it back and forth with the PB Blaster and it should free up. Otherwise it's just a matter of how far you want to take it. New seals thoughout, or just paint it and run it with John Deere cornhead grease. Try to save the DCPD bolts if you can.

USMC4302

Good info -- Thanks!

BTW -- a good soaking with PB Blaster over night and a couple of taps with the rubber mallet this morning and it moved fine.

USMC4302

Is there a recommended procedure for getting the winch free of the PTO shaft or the PTO shaft off of the PTO? I removed the set bolt from the u-joint yoke at the winch end and I've tried sliding the shaft out of the yoke at the PTO end, but nothing is moving freely and I don't want to start banging on anything. Do I have to disassemble the u-joints? I don't really want to do that if if I don't have to...

Thanks

TGP (IL)

Keep soaking the yokes with your favorite rust buster.
They can become really stuck.
Make sure you drive out the "shear" pin at the winch.
If you can, you might have to separate the PTO shaft at the slip joint.
Then try a puller on the yokes. also some time a blunt soft chisel and hammer off the shaft.
A little amount of heat will help.
Tom

USMC4302

A little help from the gas wrench and everything came apart as you said -- thanks! BTW, there was no shearpin -- it was gone! Who knows what THAT means ... :) The winch needs more than just a repaint, so the whole thing is sitting on the bench now -- winch, PTO, shaft and brackets. This has transitioned from a simple swap (one truck to another) to more of a long-term project. Just have to work up my courage to to leap into a winch rebuild. So far, I've only found one expensive broken part... But I have yet to look inside ...

Thanks for the help.LU-4-Project.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks