• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Oshkosh Skidder (for a day!)

paradeduty

The wife and I finally got tired of all of the falling branches (sometimes large - some of the trees were 2.5-3 feet diameter and 70 feet tall) from quite a few of the trees around our pond that have not been doing well for the last 5 years or so. There is a really nice guy in the area with a growing family who is taking what wood he can burn when he has time to come and cut them up, but he is not really keen on dropping this size tree on someone elses property. Also was getting tired of the one or two at a time thing - it was time to just clean house and get ready to plant new in the fall (have to give the wife a little push to decide what and where she wants to plant). But, as luck would have it, a couple of the biggest ones already had decided which way they wanted to fall - into the pond! Time to let at least one of the trucks earn their keep! After being a bit lazy and snapping my backhoe transport chains a couple of times (Oshkosh M1074 in 1st gear, high range at about 1200 rpm!), decided I had to drag out the old logging chain that I inheritted (sp) some 30 years ago. Oshkosh didn't even grunt - spun the rear tires once on the "grass" when the trunk dug in once (no weight to speak of on the back of the truck) - but she pulled it a couple hundred feet to be out of the way. Good times! P.S. - Remember, I told the wife that we "had" to cut these down and I would probably "have" to pull some out of the way with the truck...............Dave.

Attachments

Scooteerr

I bet it was "hard" on you to justify to yourself to use that Hemtt to pull out that tree... LOL... :driver:
They seem to have a lot of power behind them... And certainly enough tires to lay it down...

And, Oh yea, NICE TRUCK!!!:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Scooteerr

Hey Scooter -

Ya - it was a really tough decision to have to make - but just leaving them sit is worse on them.

And Hey - really like your avatar and your "go big or go home".
Thanks, I can post the pic on here tonight if you want, and on another note, where are all of these Hemtt's comming from?!?... Never see them on GL... LOL...

Oh ya, and I'm still :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Where's the pics of the whole truck itself... Lol

Last edited:

paradeduty

Hey Scooter -

Believe it or not, all of our Oshkosh units came off of GL - they kind of sneak up on everyone one at a time or so. For more pictures, there is a couple of threads I put on here with pictures. I'm getting old so - do a search for PLS or M1074 and it should pop up. On a side note, our HEMTT wrecker is in the classifieds for anyone who wants to give us what we have into it.

Dave

I got off my lazy butt and looked for it : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/76373-10x10-pls-home.html?highlight=m1074

And another (near end for pictures) : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcomi...uck-show-salute-vets.html?highlight=yspilanti

Last edited:

augiedoggy

I often say, there's nothing like having the right tool for the job; and you've got that job covered Parade!! Thanks for sharing the pics so I can dream! :drool:

Scooteerr

Thanks parade

Hey Scooter -

Believe it or not, all of our Oshkosh units came off of GL - they kind of sneak up on everyone one at a time or so. For more pictures, there is a couple of threads I put on here with pictures. I'm getting old so - do a search for PLS or M1074 and it should pop up. On a side note, our HEMTT wrecker is in the classifieds for anyone who wants to give us what we have into it.

Dave

I got off my lazy butt and looked for it : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/76373-10x10-pls-home.html?highlight=m1074

And another (near end for pictures) : http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcomi...uck-show-salute-vets.html?highlight=yspilanti

Thanks... LOL... Just got hm from farm so I'll post that pic for you in I lil while... And thank you for that material so I can dream some more... LOL...:drool:

Scooteerr

sorry for hyjacking

:ditto:

and here is the pic i promised.... :mrgreen:

and another pic or 2.... my favorite tractor the famer i work for owns...... its the biggest, baddest, tractor ive ever seen... and its articulated!!!!! i love it and hope to drive it someday.... it so perdy and gets 4 gal per hr.... $$$$$$$$$...... its an international 4366 turbo................ sorry for hyjacking the thread....:driver::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Attachments

paradeduty

Hey Scooter -

Don't be sorry - that tractor looks like a rig that can give an Oshkosh LVS (basically an articulated HEMTT) a run for the money! Actually, for that rig, 4 gallons per hour doesn't sound too bad - in relative terms, in a road rig @ 60 mph would be 15 MPG - not bad considering a standard HEMTT gets about 3 MPG !