• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My OT-64

dk8019

Since buying my M977 a few years back I've developed a thing for 8x8s, and my new OT-64 came up for sale from Tank Town earlier in the spring. Had it shipped to my farm in southern VA, and unfortunately COVID has kept us away from the farm more than we like.

It's in quite good condition overall I would say, it's stored indoors now as well which is good since it was outdoors previously. Interesting creature to drive to be sure, but not as bad as I feared. The CTIS appears to be shot in it, and has been bypassed, but the tires hold air and have manual valves on them, so no issue there. She runs out well, and is a hoot to drive.

Looking to add another APC/Scout vehicle to the mix as well, and have a few feelers out, and a good lead on a Fox that I'm hoping to close the deal on soon. I'll get more pictures of her out in the wild once I get back down to the farm in a few weeks. Only one I have for now was it coming off the trailer. Need to paint the mufflers in high temp paint, I'll go flat black I think this time around.

One question I don't have a solid answer on is the transmission in this beast. It's a Wilson type pre-select, think Ferret. The documentation seems to refer to a fluid coupler or torque convertor of some sort between the engine and transmission, but I'm not 100% sure. It shifts out fine etc, but I'm not 100% sure how to use the gear select pedal. Should I be using it like a clutch (I know this is a no go in a Fox for instance) or should I use the brakes to hold it in place in gear when doing precise movements like parking etc?

IMG_0263.jpg

Robin33ba07

Since buying my M977 a few years back I've developed a thing for 8x8s, and my new OT-64 came up for sale from Tank Town earlier in the spring. Had it shipped to my farm in southern VA, and unfortunately COVID has kept us away from the farm more than we like.

It's in quite good condition overall I would say, it's stored indoors now as well which is good since it was outdoors previously. Interesting creature to drive to be sure, but not as bad as I feared. The CTIS appears to be shot in it, and has been bypassed, but the tires hold air and have manual valves on them, so no issue there. She runs out well, and is a hoot to drive.

Looking to add another APC/Scout vehicle to the mix as well, and have a few feelers out, and a good lead on a Fox that I'm hoping to close the deal on soon. I'll get more pictures of her out in the wild once I get back down to the farm in a few weeks. Only one I have for now was it coming off the trailer. Need to paint the mufflers in high temp paint, I'll go flat black I think this time around.

One question I don't have a solid answer on is the transmission in this beast. It's a Wilson type pre-select, think Ferret. The documentation seems to refer to a fluid coupler or torque convertor of some sort between the engine and transmission, but I'm not 100% sure. It shifts out fine etc, but I'm not 100% sure how to use the gear select pedal. Should I be using it like a clutch (I know this is a no go in a Fox for instance) or should I use the brakes to hold it in place in gear when doing precise movements like parking etc?

View attachment 815197
hello there I had a OT64 several years ago that I brought into Ireland from Czech , before I sold it a decision that I regret ,on gear change exactly the same as a Ferret ,the OT64 has a sequential gear change (I have a MK1 Ferret as well ) the OT64 is great fun to drive but the one thing I would do is give the drivers hatch a hair cut in such a way it could be welded back if needed

dk8019

Thanks Robin, I suppose the real question about the gear change is whether or not the pedal works like a clutch pedal, or if it is simply a gear change pedal? I think when I bought it from Todd he mentioned he knew a gentleman in Ireland that had one or did have one. Pre-COVID I was in Ireland every month for work, if this whole thing ever goes away, it would be great to have a pint with you and discuss it!

kcimb

Thanks Robin, I suppose the real question about the gear change is whether or not the pedal works like a clutch pedal, or if it is simply a gear change pedal? I think when I bought it from Todd he mentioned he knew a gentleman in Ireland that had one or did have one. Pre-COVID I was in Ireland every month for work, if this whole thing ever goes away, it would be great to have a pint with you and discuss it!
it’s a gear change pedal. No harm in holding it for a second or two but agreat way to damage the transmission is to use it like a clutch pedal.

Robin33ba07

it
it’s a gear change pedal. No harm in holding it for a second or two but agreat way to damage the transmission is to use it like a clutch pedal.
its important as has been said that you select your gear then hit the gear change pedal then select the next higher gear and hit the pedal as you need it and so on up to top gear ,then select the gear under top as you will only be coming down the gears ,one thing I could never get an answer for was on a Ferret its recommended that before you start the engine you pump all the gears 4/5 times with the gear change pedal select I could never find anything in the the drivers manual I had

dk8019

Ok, that's what I thought, so the real question then is how does one move the vehicle slowly? Say backing into the barn? If there's a torque converter between the two, then no issue, just use the brakes to hold it and inch it that way. I'm not 100% sure that works however.

kcimb

Ok, that's what I thought, so the real question then is how does one move the vehicle slowly? Say backing into the barn? If there's a torque converter between the two, then no issue, just use the brakes to hold it and inch it that way. I'm not 100% sure that works however.
Select the lowest gear and use the brake.

dk8019

Thinking of adding two other vehicles to the mix as well. Have a line on a nice looking Fox, and a line on a Scorpion. Should be nice to add to the barn!

dmetalmiki

Driving is straight forward, Select forward gear, 1,2,3,4, Matters not, The vehicle will pull away, albeit slower in higher gears.
You can select reverse going forwards, But select that gear when anticipating a reverse maneuver from a halt.
All shifts up or down require the select pedal (It is NOT a clutch pedal), to be pushed down and released smartly.
Moving off from first gear, select first gear, Once in motion select the next desired gear, attain the desired speed, press and release the shift pedal.
Shifting down, From top gear, select the next gear down ,and as the vehicle slows with or without braking, Depress and release the shift pedal at the desired lower speed.
Never ride the shift lever.
Never hold the shift lever half way, It is possible to then get lockup, and the subsequent shift pedal action gets really hard.

B3.3T

What a beast. The pre-select gearbox is a British design but used by the Czechs under license since before WWII. The Hetzer TD and 38 (P) tank used it as well,

Last edited:

D6T

What a beast. The pre-select gearbox is a British design but used by the Czechs under license since before WWII. The Hetzler and 38 (P) tank used it as well,
Trivia time...I believe it was also used in the Grille series of German WWII SPGs.

dk8019

Driving is straight forward, Select forward gear, 1,2,3,4, Matters not, The vehicle will pull away, albeit slower in higher gears.
You can select reverse going forwards, But select that gear when anticipating a reverse maneuver from a halt.
All shifts up or down require the select pedal (It is NOT a clutch pedal), to be pushed down and released smartly.
Moving off from first gear, select first gear, Once in motion select the next desired gear, attain the desired speed, press and release the shift pedal.
Shifting down, From top gear, select the next gear down ,and as the vehicle slows with or without braking, Depress and release the shift pedal at the desired lower speed.
Never ride the shift lever.
Never hold the shift lever half way, It is possible to then get lockup, and the subsequent shift pedal action gets really hard.
So this part I get, and I've driven manual transmission vehicles for an eternity. What I can't sort is how someone inches the vehicle forward for tight maneuvers if don't use the gear select pedal like one would a clutch. Pulling away is quite simple, although it is possible to stall it I've found if the engine speed is low, and if you use the brake to attempt to hold it in place in hear it seems to stall as well.

dk8019

Just to bring this one fully to close. During my ownership of my particular OT-64, which is now owned by another member here, did indeed have a dry clutch. It was visible between the engine and the transmission input. It could have had a fluid coupling somewhere, but my machine didn't seem to, it would fully stall with the clutch out and brake applied. The transmission did function as a pre-select, but the gear select pedal served double duty on my machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks