• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Poor Tractor

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt has an Ebay store, Green Gem Army Surplus. You can contact him through there! As far as the rally, pickup truck. I've run out of time with the cab swap and no way to get the dropside home in time.

ucfjeeper

Re: RE: Re: RE: My Poor Tractor

MilitaryRestoration said:
Recovery-who is Matt in Live Oak...I'd be really interested in those winch parts. Thank You
Matt run's Green Gem army surplus in live oak. They're on Ebay also.

Armada

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: My Poor Tractor

I now know how you feel Kenny about mising a vehicle. Didn't think it was possible. Post some of those tractor piggyback pics. Those are still some of my favorites! Adds new meaning to fifth wheel.... :)

oilcan

Any pics of the connection between the trucks? Those darn squeaky wheels are turnin' in my head again...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like this? And for those who are just joining us, the trip with the M108 on the back was a scant 340 miles. The pics of the M35A2 on the back was 2568 miles. Drug the truck from here in S Fla to OH so my buddy JW4X4 could use it for a week then drug it right back home.

Attachments

dirtyfingernails

Kenny,
From the photos, it looks like the towed truck front axle simply slips down into a groove on the 5th wheel plate. Is this correct? If correct, I guess the only thing holding it down is gravity--and your chains?? Lastly, what do you figure the weightage is on the tractor?
Steve

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Weight on the back of the tractor was prolly around 7000#. The device has 2 horse shoe shaped pieces of 1" plate hand formed to the countour of the deuce front axle. Those are welded to the base plate and gusseted. The base plate has the kingpin welded in and reinforced with a backstrap. The chains bind it all up and make it solid. I still have the device.

oilcan

I assume a wrecker or crane was used to set the towed vehicles on and off?

I see tractors piggybacked on the road all the time, but I've never seen how they make it happen.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have always been loaded with some type of equipment. Twice now I've driven them off though.

m35a2cowner

Lifting

I use to work at a GMC truck Center. When we were closing it down we used a big chain hoist to pick up the front of a used truck were were sending off and carefully backed another truck under it. We did it carefully (used planks at times to protect bumpers) and did not have to use a wrecker or crane

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks