• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Sheriff wants a deuce for the S.O.

Maverick1701

*updated pics* My Sheriff wants a deuce for the S.O.

I work as a Sheriff Deputy for the Hall County Sheriffs Office and I just ordered my own personal deuce from Boyce.
I was talking to my Sheriff about it (his old S.O. ran one back in colorado and we were trading war stories about deuces) and I mentioned that fire/govt can get deuces for fairly cheap via "the man".
My sheriff wants me to get info on how to go about doing this for a search and rescue truck, and also for a bad weather/disaster patrol vehicle.

I have no idea where to start. Do I go through DMRO? US forestry service?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Dustyh

Chris, we (McAdoo VFD, ****ens County) purchased our M35A3 through the Texas Facilities Commision under the Federal Surplus Property Program, Federal Surplus Property — Texas Facilities Commission. All you have to do is complete the forms and once approved you can buy through them. You should be able to find everything you need on the above page. If you have any questions let me know.

Dusty

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also bypass the state and go right to DRMO. Look into the LESO program. DOD provides stuff almost free to law enforcement agencies for use in law enforcement.

Maverick1701

I got the ball rolling through both DMRO and LESO....I faxed in the DMRO forms and LESO is setting up my department w/an ID and login.

narc20

That program is a great deal for LE agencies. Once you get set up you can screen equipment via the DRMS website for all kinds of equipment, not just vehicles. You can search bases near you. I see a lot of good stuff coming out of TX but its too far for us. I have picked up tools, sleeping bags, computers, tvs, office furninture and all kinds of other stuff for our department. Make friends with the people at the DRMO's. They can help you out if you see something on the website you're interested in and tell you if its worth requesting. Also dont pay much attention to the condition codes. A lot of stuff that is listed as unserviceable is often good stuff. I was told the units can only get new stuff if they mark the old as junk an turn it in. Even if its still serviceable. Usually if it says its new or serviceable the description is accurate. You have to justify everything you request in writing but just remember the buzzwords like drugs and terrorism and it'll be all good. They just dont want agencies getting stuff and selling it with no intention of using it. Good luck.

Maverick1701

I turned in our packets last weds, my state coord. called and said we should be in the system, and good to go by early this week.

I hope it doesnt take too long....two of our trucks (out of the 4 in our fleet) are on their last leg. We already lost one truck (that issue has since been taken care of by buying a used crown vic) and mine is starting to give us (more) issues.

We are in the running for a grant from USDA for two new trucks at a 50/50 match...but so far its been "we will hear something next week for sure!!" for the past 4 months....the state can be frustrating sometimes

Last edited:

Maverick1701

We have been up and running w/LESO for the past few months with great results.

So far we have been awarded ARs, M14s, shotguns, and 1911s.
This morning I put in a request for 2 HMMWVs....man I hope we get 'em....

ryker725

Should be able to get them free. My local SO has 2 of them that cost them $0. They also have 2 high speed pursuit boats that were surplus from US Customs. Surplus ATV's from the US forrest service. All for nothing.. You just have to know how to apply for them..

wiggall

No you do not to get one the HMMWV's are a MONEY PIT! Always some little thing is always going wrong! I know the prison that I retired from in Idaho got one, and I was put in charge of keeping it running! It was always something. First thing the ring ger lost some teeth. Next wheel seals! so on and so forth! There is also a peacking order Gov Agencys get first choice, then State Agencys, then County Agencys, then City Agencys, after that it goes to GL!

It sounds like the process has not changed in a very long time. In 1970-1971 I was young and dumb, and thought one way helicopter rides were fun, I did the really big fire fighting thing both for the BLM and NDF. We got our deuce for free. It had a slight mishap when the B-17 that was dropping retardant was a bit short, missed the DZ and hit us and our deuce instead. It flipped the deuce over on its side. Didn't do us much good either. Those big red clumps really hurt. When he pulled up it was a bit short and he caught a wing tip on the canyon rim, and that was that... Shure made a mess.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Glad to see your odds of surviving a zombie attack are increasing. 8)

Attachments