• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My solution to the hitch height problem

DeadParrot

Solved the trailer tongue height problem with a custom hitch. The hitch was $119 parts, labor and installation. The bumper was $30 from a local pul-a-part. J and I Hitch did the hitch. I already had the old bumper off and did the new bumper modifications and installation myself.

The hitch is fairly simple. A straight cross bar bolted to the bottom of the frame end with the receiver tube welded to the top. The back end of the receiver is welded to a frame cross member. If I ever need to remove the hitch, it will require removing the four rivets holding the cross member to the frame.

Had to remove some of the center of the replacement bumper above where the license plate goes. Just barely enough room for the plate. The receiver tube is above the plate. Also reinforced the bumper loops for the safety chains.

Trailer pulls a lot better now that it is level. Almost like it isn't there. Tires are 30” trailer tires.

Trailer1.jpgTrailer2.jpg

DeadParrot

Close but it can be opened with the just the hook inserted. Don't remember if the trailer interferes any. I am tall enough that almost anything that needs loading in the bed I can load with the tailgate shut. If it is big enough to need the tailgate down, it is probably big enough to need the trailer out of the way.

rustystud

Good job ! Nice and clean ! When you make something like that and people come over and say "where can I buy that from" or "who makes that product" you know you've done well !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks