• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My tip for spare relays

B-Dog

Just about any automotive style 4/5 pin 30/40a relay should work. Here are the ones that I used for a tad less money:

24v:

12v

Spankybear is correct, without a flyback diode, the coil will generate some voltage on discharge . I'm no electrician but the only instance I personally ever witnessed that as a problem was on a solenoid (much larger coil than a relay) and the voltage bounce was sending my PLC multiple inputs. I'd be floored if anything in these trucks could be effected by such a thing, especially an A0. But, if the factory engineers spec'd a diode then who am I to say otherwise?

spankybear

Spankybear is correct, without a flyback diode, the coil will generate some voltage on discharge . I'm no electrician but the only instance I personally ever witnessed that as a problem was on a solenoid (much larger coil than a relay) and the voltage bounce was sending my PLC multiple inputs. I'd be floored if anything in these trucks could be effected by such a thing, especially an A0. But, if the factory engineers spec'd a diode then who am I to say otherwise?
Industrial electronic tech here... I have seen switch contacts burn up switching 24 volt ice cube relays coils. I am thinking the engineers of this system wanted to protect the switches and what not.

There are some of these automotive relays that have resistors across the coils. The diode is better but you can't switch the polarity around on the coil. The ones with the resistor are easier to find in the after market world. Its no issue to switch polarity around as the coil itself doesn't care one way. Just a note if you are adding a relay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks