• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My truck got NOS!!!

dozer1

I would put my 2cents on ether. I know there is a few different thread configurations on these types of kits. Some you cannot screw a propane bottle on. I have heard that some you can although I have never seen one personally. I have 3 diesel powered machines with ether kits similar to the one shown. All will not accept propane.

emr

WOW!!!!!!!!! :shock: !!!!!!!!!!! Maybe some just do not see what they read, Propane ? really ? size of bottle determines the content? Those bottles are actually plentyful in the hobby, I guess i just could not resist, Its a cold starting aid, Start cranking hold button 3 seconds release and a prescribed dose enters and she should fire up, its a nice system. U need to start cranking for it to work.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's the SCUBA tank, used for deep water fording.

There should be a soft rubber hose under the dash, that you attach to one ear, then you let the oxygen flow out the other ear.

Last edited:

Oldfart

If you want to prolong the thread, consider the physics or chemistry of "cold start fluids." Most diesel engine people in colder climes know there are differences between different brands of starting fluids. Our John Deere implement dealer had a brand of "ether" that is particullary effective when compared to what can be purchased at the local walk in parts store. This "better" fluid material starts our 4955 in cold weather when lesser brands do not. It also makes a bigger bang in our potato gun. All starting fluids are not equal. Ether is not really a specific compound, but rather a class of compounds. Much like there are numerous kinds of alchols (methyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol, butyl alcohol etc.) there are numerous kinds of ethers.

The following, copied from a US patent application is a fairly good description of what is involved and the dificulties with various kinds of compounds being used for "cold" start aids. Note that Propane and Nitrous Oxide as well as "ether" are a part of the fluid ~~~

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
This invention relates to an improved engine-starting compound used for starting internal combustion engines, such as diesel engines, in extremely cold weather.
Heretofore as described in U.S. Pat. Nos. 3,255,786 and 3,361,544 fractionated hydrocarbon rubber solvents were used in conjunction with an ether, propane, CO 2 mixture. Such rubber solvents are characterized by a flash point in the range of -20° F. and -40° F. which is very near the flash points of the propane and ether utilized in the starter fluid. Thus, the rubber solvent, ether and propane could be exhausted before the ignition temperature of the fuel was reached. Even should the ignition temperature be reached it may not exist for a sufficient length of time to vaporize the fuel to initiate fuel ignition.
In this invention a combination of a lower alkyl ether, a CO 2 or nitrous oxide pressurizer, a hydrocarbon propellant of the class consisting of butane, iso-butane and propane, and a petroleum distillate with a 5 to 8 carbon chain is utilized for the starter fluid. In this combination, the petroleum distillate with its flash point between 10° F. to 30° F. will prolong the initial fire of the starting fluid. This will provide additional BTU's to increase the internal temperature of the engine cylinder due to the longer period of burn with the petroleum distillate continuing to burn after the ether and propane have been exhausted. By so prolonging the burning time of the starter fluid the fuel of the internal combustion engine is more easily ignited thus reducing the amount of time required to crank the engine and also the amount of starter fluid needed to obtain engine fuel ignition is reduced. Such an improved starter fluid is less costly to produce than the starter fluids disclosed in formerly mentioned U.S. Pat. Nos. 3,255,786 and 3,361,544 since either of lesser quality and in lesser amounts can be utilized. Additionally there is an improved burning propagation resulting in less initial thrust upon the engine components which is an important feature in gasoline engines which are not designed with the structural strength of diesel engines.
Accordingly, it is an object of this invention to provide a means of increasing the life of the initial fire of a starting fluid for an internal combustion engine.
Another object of this invention is to provide an internal combustion engine starting fluid having a high BTU production upon ignition so as to decrease the amount of fluid needed to ignite the fuel of the engine.
Still another object of this invention is to provide in an internal combustion engine starting fluid for the improved solubility of propane and ether causing increased ether vaporization and utilization.
Still a further object of this invention is to provide a starting fluid which is for internal combustion engines and which is of reliable operation.
Still another object of this invention is to provide a starting fluid which is for internal combustion engines and which may be economically produced.

wikallen

I think there are a lot of people having issues seeing sarcasm in this thread. Which makes it kind of funny, but sad at the same time.

For the record, ANYONE THAT HAS READ THE TMs, (or has common sense) KNOWS THIS IS A COMMON ETHER START SYSTEM Almost every truck up here in the north has it or the flame heater on their trucks.

Riktord

I think there are a lot of people having issues seeing sarcasm in this thread. Which makes it kind of funny, but sad at the same time.

For the record, ANYONE THAT HAS READ THE TMs, (or has common sense) KNOWS THIS IS A COMMON ETHER START SYSTEM Almost every truck up here in the north has it or the flame heater on their trucks.
Flame thrower FTW