• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My truck is on gl.

bonshawman

I found a GPW (42) that went into the service by it's data plate on the day my Dad turned 18 and joined the army air corps (15th AF), October 1942. The same day......

I bought it, remarked it with his bomb group numbers from photos from the airfield in Italy - when I display it, I have his photo (from WWII) and his military history of his bomb group.

He is thrilled - he was 83 when I got her, now he is 88 and in good health. It took him years of "prying" to finally share his military experience, and he did so in a small booklet complete with photos, map of the airfield, and the history of his unit.

When I go out to the garage and run my hand down the fender of the GPW, of course I think of him, and of others (past and present) and marvel at the connection in "service" that they shared - both new and fresh in the autumn of 1942- and that they both survived, and that the 70 some odd years (this coming October) that have passed since.....well, you get the point.

I guess it IS an emotional connection, and like a "WAR HORSE" (the movie) - those that survive are more than just a vehicle - they become intertwined with those to whom they are connected, in a variety of ways, and hopefully, re-connected when possible. Yeah, they are a machine, one of thousands - point taken. But there are so few connections in this world these days, many so fleeting, that when we find them, well, they need to be honored. Fate is far from fickle, and when she beckons.....

greenjeepster

There are a lot of members on this forum, it will likely end up with one.

If it were not tax time right now I would finance it for you... but I have to pay the uncle next week. Maybe there is another member who is in a position to finance the truck for you and hold it as collateral?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd pitch in too.

Man, put that thing on a loan, a credit card, sell your kids, whatever!

To be able to say "This is the truck I was issued when I was in the service, it came up on GL and I bought it and now it's mine again" is an amazing story.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a GPW (42) that went into the service by it's data plate on the day my Dad turned 18 and joined the army air corps (15th AF), October 1942. The same day......

I bought it, remarked it with his bomb group numbers from photos from the airfield in Italy - when I display it, I have his photo (from WWII) and his military history of his bomb group.

He is thrilled - he was 83 when I got her, now he is 88 and in good health. It took him years of "prying" to finally share his military experience, and he did so in a small booklet complete with photos, map of the airfield, and the history of his unit.

When I go out to the garage and run my hand down the fender of the GPW, of course I think of him, and of others (past and present) and marvel at the connection in "service" that they shared - both new and fresh in the autumn of 1942- and that they both survived, and that the 70 some odd years (this coming October) that have passed since.....well, you get the point.

I guess it IS an emotional connection, and like a "WAR HORSE" (the movie) - those that survive are more than just a vehicle - they become intertwined with those to whom they are connected, in a variety of ways, and hopefully, re-connected when possible. Yeah, they are a machine, one of thousands - point taken. But there are so few connections in this world these days, many so fleeting, that when we find them, well, they need to be honored. Fate is far from fickle, and when she beckons.....
Well said...I guess when you have an emotional attachment to something you try to do whatever it takes to keep it. It's like when a person runs back into a burning building for family pictures.

housemover

I'll donate 500.00. Also I know it's against forum rules but I feel the auction should be made public so everyone can back off and not run the auction up.

greenjeepster

Housemover... there is enough info in this thread to know which one it is... It is a nice truck...

Hopefully who ever wins it will come forward after the auction ends.

Deuce Coupe... How far off would you be from being able to purchase it? Seeing as you drove this truck; would you say the posted miles is correct?

Last edited:

greenjeepster

If everybody who viewed this thread could send in 15.00 each we would have more than enough to purchase this truck. The buying power of this group combined could be pretty amazing... we really should have a fund set up.

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
As of right now I would say $870 rough guess, if every body how said "I'll chip in a little bit to help", actully chipped in just 20.

Last edited: