• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My truck tried to start itself!?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you taken a good look at your battery cables? I have seen it many times that the cables are corroded inside the plastic.

Also make sure that all the connections are clean and tight. This includes both ends of the cable.

An often overlooked area is the attachment points for the ground cables. Are all the ground cables in place?

scottladdy

Both batteries are at 12 volts. When I put the 2 relays in next to the doghead I heard a "spark" but it's all plastic so I don't know what it might have been.
Please tell us you did not work on the electrical system with the batteries connected :shock:!

Torch

OK thank you Warthog I'll have to look at those things. The battery cables seem ok but who knows really. It looks like whatever "sparked" was enough to blow the starter! I can't believe that if something shorts the starter goes!? This is gonna be the fifth starter I get for this!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets talk about the spark you heard.

Was it when you where reinstalling the mounting bracket for the Starter Relay and the other two relays (voltmeter and GEN2)?

If so it is possible that you shorted the 24v terminal on the relay and burned out the fusible link.

Last edited:

Torch

I was snapping those 2 relays back into place before I went and disconnected the batteries again before I reinstalled all 3 relays under the dash. I guess I must have hit it but which fusible link coincides with that? I checked 11 fusible links I was able to find but there is 1 I'm questionable on. It's a 16ga that comes off the top bar. I get power to the top side of the link but not the bottom. And I'm not sure if that's because I need someone to turn the key like they're gonna start the truck. Also for some reason the glow plug system doesn't seem to be working!? UGH!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 16 ga wire on the 24v Positive Terminal Block is the one that feeds the 24v to the starter relay and on down to the starter solenoid.

You should have voltage on both sides of the of the link. Without it your starter will not work.

E-01 - Starter system fusible link.GIF

Torch

OK thank you. Now the only other question I have is should I have power to both sides all the time or only when the key is in the start position? I greatly appreciate the help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the 16ga fusiable link you should have 24v from the 24v Positive Terminal block all the way to the large Red red wire at the starter relay under that dash. It is hot at all times. Key on or off.

With the key in the start position the relay will energize and send the 24v on down to the starter solenoid via the large purple wire.

Both the large red wire and the large purple wire pass thru the firewall connector. Many times this connector needs to be split in to and cleaned.

Last edited:

Torch

Starting issues part III

I FINALLY got everything done and something roached one of the glow plug wires!? (right side closest to the firewall) I installed the doghead relay, new glow plug solenoid, new glow plugs and I discovered the controller card was already in the truck so I reconnected it. (It had a bypass switch when I got it) The first time I tried to start the truck everything "seemed" to go ok but it didn't have enough oomph to start the truck. I disconnected the batteries and double checked to make sure the connections at the starter were good since I had to replace the "trigger" wire which I did before winter. After going over everything again I turned the key to cycle the glow plugs and within a few seconds I saw smoke!? I turned the key back off went to disconnect the batteries and noticed one spot where it was smoking and found the wire melted. I think it initially started smoking on the left side but I did not notice anything when I looked so I'm not sure. NOW I'm about clueless what might have gone bad this time around!? I followed all instructions and double checked with any pictures or schematics I could find.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Combined you threads. Helps everyone to know what has been going on so far.

Also it is common courtesy to post outcomes in your threads before starting a new one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the second or third time his threads have been merged.

An infraction may be next.

Folks need to help themselves just a little bit...

Don't forget your moderators on National Secretaries day, April 22, 2015.

Torch

Ok thank you Warthog and I will remember that. My apologies Doghead I'm not on here all the time and I wasn't even sure if my original posts were even here. I'm not very computer savvy.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always click on your own username and then click on threads you have started, or several other options.

If you need help navigating, just ask. Someone will offer help.

No worries.