• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Truck's First Job For Hire

gottaluvit

Well, thanks to so many for their kindness and helpful direction on so many issues, since aquiring my M929A2, it finally gets to show it's colors (other than the beautiful tan) this Friday. Only a small, on site, one but that's how I wanted to put it to the test anyway. Gonna move sandstone/shale that is finely broken from a pond digging location to build up a guys driveway, with no loaded highway travelling. It is about time I get to see a few benjis come my way instead of the other direction. Then comes some free short distance highway hauling the following week for ol' mom's parking area. Wanted to test it off road first, so I feel blessed in the order things worked out. Then more distance yet on another unpaid project for myself. A lot of loads of moderate distance for my 1/4 mile driveway (of aggregate and rip-rap)which is yet to be dozed in. This is a major reason for my purchase as I knew money saved here would cover 1/3 of my purchase price. Then decided to go commercial with all the oil/gas/pipeline work around here which will bring it work directly or by trickling down to landowners having lots of cash for long awaited projects. Wish this steel tan soldier luck (or your blessings). Thanks to so many of you for helping me get this unit so far along.

sed6

Congrats! Wish I could make some money with my 925 instead of just spending money on it. I'm sure you've done so already but make sure you get a good commercial insurance policy on it.

gottaluvit

M929s and M817s are awesome work trucks.I use them in my business a lot..
Good to know. I am a bit nervous. I drove m817 back in the 80s but as a youth never cared about cost of breakdowns, even though I never had even one. Especially with government's unlimited funds. Now I get to foot the bill and this truck has way more stuff that seems could go wrong. Time will tell.

gottaluvit

The truck really showed her worth today. No leaks or issues of any kind. Hydraulics actually got smoother and quieter. Fuel usage was great too. Only 15 gallons with 75 miles and six hours of off road, on site work. She made me proud. Seems that truck was well taken care of before they let it sit, which caused me all the work I did on it thus far.20150814_090622.jpg20150814_090648.jpg20150814_091948.jpg20150814_091132.jpg20150814_092350.jpg

Ford Mechanic

Got any idea on how much weight you were carrying? I've been hauling dirt this week also for use at my farm. My last load was 10k, wish I had a dump kit on mine....uploadfromtaptalk1439597892591.jpg

gottaluvit

Got any idea on how much weight you were carrying? I've been hauling dirt this week also for use at my farm. My last load was 10k, wish I had a dump kit on mine....View attachment 575675
No, I really dont know for sure. Guessing about 12 ton. Only about 300 yards to move dirt though. Between 25 and 30 loads. Would have been more but had excavator issues. I got paid my quoted price, so all is well by me. Maybe another day's work on this job to come.

BEASTMASTER

hey ,you gotta put some 12 inch side boards on that thing. I always carry 12 to 15 ton on my M-51. it slow but it hauls it. wish I had a newer one but just can't afford it.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You only had about 4-5 tons on there. It will handle a lot more. I wouldn't worry about the auto tranny. Just put it in low starting out loaded if it won't pull out loaded so as not to heat the torque convertor up.

Postman515

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pull a 36,000# excavator with a trailer that weighs 10,500# behind my 929a2. I'm using the m920 when I don't need the dump. The m920 doesn't even know it's back there.

image.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks