• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My ;turn for a weird noise

darkserra

Hi all,

I did some "preventative" maintenance to my 1009 that now causes a loud buzzing/clicking noise from under the dash.

I installed a new GP controller card, the doghead starter relay and put in AC60 GPs in my truck.

Since that time, when I start the truck, the voltmeter stays in the yellow, I get just a little bit of a squeal from the alternator belts (or no squeal at all), then I get the buzzing/clicking noise from under the dash for about 2 seconds. Once the buzzing stops, the voltmeter goes into the green and the alts stop making noise.

I haven't been able to track down the noise other than its under the dash. Anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately, this event isn't covered in the TM troubleshooting guide! aua

DS

Hi all,

I did some "preventative" maintenance to my 1009 that now causes a loud buzzing/clicking noise from under the dash.

I installed a new GP controller card, the doghead starter relay and put in AC60 GPs in my truck.

Since that time, when I start the truck, the voltmeter stays in the yellow, I get just a little bit of a squeal from the alternator belts (or no squeal at all), then I get the buzzing/clicking noise from under the dash for about 2 seconds. Once the buzzing stops, the voltmeter goes into the green and the alts stop making noise.

I haven't been able to track down the noise other than its under the dash. Anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately, this event isn't covered in the TM troubleshooting guide! aua

DS

Any update on your situation?
Mine is doing something like that also.
Just wondering if you found a solution.

darkserra

No fix as of yet.

The buzzing is getting longer and longer, so I am half anticipating a final buzz then everything dying.

I know the buzz is coming from inside the truck on the drivers side, and its nothing near the starter relay. The sound is coming from somewhere to the left of the steering column. I am half convinced that it is my new GP controller card.

I'm going to put the old card back in and see if that doesn't fix the noise.

DS

Ghost2012

Try that or the relay that controls the uh... 24v gauge on the dash? Mine was shorting out and would rapid fire CLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK like so. Good luck!

darkserra

Finally figured it out. The offending part is my glow plug relay.

I had replaced the stock (black plastic) relay with a Napa ST85, but then started having all kinds of electrical problems. Once I put the old relay back in, the those problems went away, but the relay started chattering. I think I have other problems somewhere in the truck, but I'm going to try buying another ST85 and hope it doesn't cause the problems the first ST85 caused.

DS

DieselJunkie

I know that sound exactly. It is the glow plug relay I tried the same thing replacing it with a aftermarket part it didn't work too long and the electricals went crazy. The old one works because it requires 24volts the aftermarket is just for twelve if I am not mistaken. But to fix the problem for good I just did away with the relay all together and put in a push button glow plug switch. The sound that you are hearing is under the hood but it is right against the firewall the small electro-magnetic motor is bad I guarntee. If you need more help you can send me a message and i am sure that I can help. When I got my cucv the only thing it did was crank up no headlights no break lights etc. nothing work now she runs like a charm:D

darkserra

Truly fixed the GP relay chattering.

The root of the problem was the new GP card I put into the truck the same day I put in the ST85 relay.

I bought one of the GP cards from CUCV Electric made the mistake of doing too many things at once. Today I put the old GP card back in... no chattering.

I don't want to say that the new GP card was bad, as the truck started just fine, but I'm really not wanting to put the ST85 back in, as there were major sparks flying from the neg ground at the battery (like melting the battery post kind) when the new GP card & ST85 were installed and smoke in the cab. Not good.

Maybe the ST85 relay is good, but I'm going to wait to find out for another day.

DS

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that sound exactly. It is the glow plug relay I tried the same thing replacing it with a aftermarket part it didn't work too long and the electricals went crazy. The old one works because it requires 24volts the aftermarket is just for twelve if I am not mistaken. But to fix the problem for good I just did away with the relay all together and put in a push button glow plug switch. The sound that you are hearing is under the hood but it is right against the firewall the small electro-magnetic motor is bad I guarntee. If you need more help you can send me a message and i am sure that I can help. When I got my cucv the only thing it did was crank up no headlights no break lights etc. nothing work now she runs like a charm:D
The relay is a 12v relay(never was 24v)

It's called a relay(not an electro-magnetic motor)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the ST85 relay is good, but I'm going to wait to find out for another day.
If you test that relay, does it have continuity between the 2 small terminals? Do either of them have continuity to the mount? You may have been given the wrong relay(that could damage your controller card).