• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My unimog 419 Will not go into pto gear

TREX65

PTO shift lever in cab is stuck foward will not shift into PTO for backhoe ,any suggestions thanks

Speedwoble

PTO shift lever in cab is stuck foward will not shift into PTO for backhoe ,any suggestions thanks
The PTO is a very simple operation, sliding a collar over to lock in the PTO.
I assume you have the clutch in? No bad noises?
I’ll try to look at my spare PTO to see if the is a rod that could get rusted.

TREX65

The PTO is a very simple operation, sliding a collar over to lock in the PTO.
I assume you have the clutch in? No bad noises?
I’ll try to look at my spare PTO to see if the is a rod that could get rusted.
Thanks for responding, However I am a new owner of this unimog 419 And had to replace the 8 speed gear shift supporting collar already now gears shift smoothly.
But still won't go into PTO gear , shift lever is stuck foward, Is there something I'm missing, does unimog need to be in a certain gear or neutral , to engage PTO

Speedwoble

Thanks for responding, However I am a new owner of this unimog 419 And had to replace the 8 speed gear shift supporting collar already now gears shift smoothly.
But still won't go into PTO gear , shift lever is stuck foward, Is there something I'm missing, does unimog need to be in a certain gear or neutral , to engage PTO
Are you in Georgia? There was a unit being sold down there that was in rough shape and had some mechanical issues. I hope you got a good price if it wasn’t shown as running.
No specific gear is required. Clutch needs to be depressed.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would cruise over to the local car parts place and get yourself three or four cans of your favorite penetrating oil. Just resign yourself to squirting everything that moves. Let it sit for a day or two, then come back through and do it again. There are all kinds of spray slick stuff. Pick your poison and just do it. You can buy yourself a gallon of Acetone and a gallon of Dextron and make a 50/50 mixture. Load it into a spray bottle and that will work the same magic.

MY GUESS is that the cable that engages the PTO is just rusted to the sleeve. Soak it with your chosen slick stuff. Believe me, you are not the only problem with a "big green toy" that has something seized up on it.

Evverybody else has already mentioned that the gear goes into neutral, so I don't have much to offer there. Have you by chance downloaded the student guide for that machine?

TREX65

Are you in Georgia? There was a unit being sold down there that was in rough shape and had some mechanical issues. I hope you got a good price if it wasn’t shown as running.
No specific gear is required. Clutch needs to be depressed.
You are correct here in GA. Ok Cool must be stuck with rust. Transmission was filled with water, drained a few times refilled with gear oil. Bought this unimog at a auction in County of Swainsboro GA maintenance department about 4 months ago. The City was using it untill they parked it 5 years ago only has 1500 miles on it. Transmission now shifts thur all the gears with ease except PTO is stuck/jamed any Suggestions

Speedwoble

You are correct here in GA. Ok Cool must be stuck with rust. Transmission was filled with water, drained a few times refilled with gear oil. Bought this unimog at a auction in County of Swainsboro GA maintenance department about 4 months ago. The City was using it untill they parked it 5 years ago only has 1500 miles on it. Transmission now shifts thur all the gears with ease except PTO is stuck/jamed any Suggestions
Well, I would say a transmission full of water is a key clue you omitted.

TREX65

LOL Absolutely, Thanks for the unimog student handout and other information I am much more confident how to proceed with your instructions.Thanks Speedwoble

TREX65

Speedwoble ,, My 419 Unimog is stuck in neutral . I did everything you said earlier and my 419 was operating perfectly So I got confident and put on highway but broke down 4 miles away from home, everything working perfect was driving speed of 45 for first time and transmission went clunk clunk and transmission went into natural had it towed back to my house . I have did everything I know to do read all your notes/blogs have strong air preasure PTO works perfect used air compresor to blow shift to high and low range which was stuck before I put 419 on highway but that does not seem to be the problem now truck still will not go into any gear
What other airline can I blow air into if stuck in between gears that connect direct drive gear
Thank You again for advice

Speedwoble

If the transmission was full of water, and stopped with a clunk clunk, I would not be looking at superficial fixes.
That said, let’s do some basic diagnostics:
Have you replaced the shifter bushings?
What oil did you use after draining out the water?did you drain from all 2(or 3?) drain plugs under the transmission?
Are you able to move the shifter lever into 1-4? If it feels clunky or doesn’t engage in a gear, replace the shifter bushings.
Are you able to move the I-II-R lever into all three positions?
With engine running and clutch pressed in, Place it in 1-I and release the clutch. What sounds do you hear?
Pull the oil fill, or oil drain and get an oil sample. Is it clean?
Report back.

TREX65

If the transmission was full of water, and stopped with a clunk clunk, I would not be looking at superficial fixes.
That said, let’s do some basic diagnostics:
Have you replaced the shifter bushings?
What oil did you use after draining out the water?did you drain from all 2(or 3?) drain plugs under the transmission?
Are you able to move the shifter lever into 1-4? If it feels clunky or doesn’t engage in a gear, replace the shifter bushings.
Are you able to move the I-II-R lever into all three positions?
With engine running and clutch pressed in, Place it in 1-I and release the clutch. What sounds do you hear?
Pull the oil fill, or oil drain and get an oil sample. Is it clean?
Report back.
Yes Sir changed transmission oil 3 times with 80/95 gear oil. From all the plugs.
Installed New gear shift collar that was problem first time was totally desegregated..
Gear shift worked smoothly after that.
Put down clutch can here electrical solenoid engage.
Let off clutch in first gear can here gears turning in transmission or something .I did put in forth gear and could here a slight load on engine a more noticeable difference..
What should I do next Thanks for advice

Speedwoble

Yes Sir changed transmission oil 3 times with 80/95 gear oil. From all the plugs.
Installed New gear shift collar that was problem first time was totally desegregated..
Gear shift worked smoothly after that.
Put down clutch can here electrical solenoid engage.
Let off clutch in first gear can here gears turning in transmission or something .I did put in forth gear and could here a slight load on engine a more noticeable difference..
What should I do next Thanks for advice
I’m still curious about the condition of the oil after the drive. If you pull a plug and get a quick sample , you can look for crunchy bits, but I think you may be ok.
Does the speedometer show a speed when you put it in any of the gears, for example 4-II? The speedo pickup is on the transmission, towards the back. More than one person has had the bolts back out that hold the rear driveshaft to the transmission. If you have speedo indication, but no movement, I’d look at the driveshaft.

TREX65

The oil looks clean.
Need to check if speedometer is working in 4th gear I thought it was. Good Question Need to check again Will crank up truck again and put in 4th gear and recheck

TREX65

Put truck in 4th gear did step on accelerator some speedometer does move some .Would this be indication of driveshaft bolt came backed out. Just asking I put 419 in 4 wheel drive20211203_144515.jpg

Attachments

TREX65

Speedwoble you were right, all drive shaft bolts backed out from transmission. My problem is, I cannot figure out how to separate or have enough room to install new bolts. The drive shaft is in a water tight drive shat casing. I have removed rubber boot,, the 2 piece metal collar and a plastic collar .Any advice how to further proceed,, Would appreciate advice on this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks