• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My way to flush out M1009 CUCV brake system

GunnyM1009

Tools needed are wrenches a hand vacuum pump 5 bottles of 91% rubbing alcohol and a master cylinder bleed kit like thisScreenshot_20220718-214101.png. I started by unhooking the two brake lines from the master cylinder. I used a hand vacuum like this Screenshot_20220718-211641.pngto pull all fluid from the master cylinder. I filled the front and rear with alcohol swirl it around then vacuum it out. Fill front and rear again then use two of the fittings from the bleed kit to hook the vacuum up to where the brake lines connect, pull the alcohol through each side with the vacuum, do this twice. Blow the master cylinder out and allow to dry. While waiting unhook the passenger rear brake line with a drip pan underneath. Let it drip and take one of the hoses from the vacuum pump box push it over the line leading to the rear from the master cylinder and put the other end into one of the full bottles of alcohol hook the vac pump up at the passenger rear and suck the entire bottle of alcohol. Once done plug that line then do the same to the driver rear. Unplug both after and blow air through to flush out the alcohol. Repeat this with the front brake lines. Now back to the master cylinder, hook the bleed kit up like you are bench bleeding the master and fill front and back with clean new Dot5 pump the pedal like your bench bleeding on the truck. After about 10 pumps suck that fluid out. Now fill again with Dot5 hook all your brake lines back up and proceed with bleeding all the air out as normal. Congrats now you are back to the correct fluid.

Edit note- I was replacing the rubber parts of my brake lines anyway but everything I could read up on suggested rubbing alcohol on rubber hoses one time should not hurt them. It can dry out seals though which is why I disconnected the lines at the wheel cylinders and the calipers and didn't pull the alcohol through the bleeders. I didn't know if wheel cylinders or calipers had rubber parts inside, I have never rebuilt either one I usually just buy replacement calipers and wheel cylinders.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks