• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My XM211 Fuel Tank

SturmTyger380

I have given up on the sharp stones and the muratic acid. I have declared total war on the xm211 fuel tank.

I got the plasma cutter out and cut the baffles. I will wield them back later. In the photos you can see the rust I can't get out. Next I will use the sand blaster.

photo(23).jpg photo(21).jpgphoto(17).jpgphoto(20).jpg

Woodsplinter

Check out www.eastwood.com. They sell a fuel tank sealer kit and various chemicals to clean the tank and prevent flash rust until you can coat it.
The ad for the sealer kit also has instructions you can download which explains the entire process and chemicals needed.

I have the chemicals and sealer and am preparing to clean and seal an old 5 gallon jerry can- can't comment on how good the sealer is yet.

SturmTyger380

You are just a few steps ahead of me. I have the same instructions. I have my Phosphoric acid ready, acetone and I plan on using this tank sealer -

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GTS

It claims to be alcohol resistant. We will see.

I just know with these sealers you need to get rid of all rust that could flake off. The sealer is not strong enough to keep the rust stuck to the tank and over time it flakes off and then you have crap in your tank all over again.

nattieleather

Not to be difficult, but since you got a flame wrench out why didn't you cut the top open? Then you could sandblast the inside, reweld the top back on and then continue with sealing it up etc. Wouldn't that have been easier?

SturmTyger380

Well it was a nice day here in the south. So I took to sand blasting.

Here is the before for the corner and the after.

photo(20).jpg photo(x18).jpg

Oh joy, now I have pin holes to repair. Just shows how bad the rust was.

Here is where the blasting ended near the baffle.

photo(x17).jpg

The rest I will blast another day or I can reach with a wire wheel brush.

Woodsplinter

Wow- your rust problem is much worse than the surface rust on my little can! Good luck & keep us posted!
Just out of curiosity, what would another tank cost, assuming the rust wasn't as bad?

leg

hi guys ive got a 56 deuce but last fall on the way out of the bush the pump stopped working so we put a tank on the roof with hose to the carb once it caught it drove fine my question is has anyone ever replaced the in tank pump with an in line pump not in the tank it would make it easier to service any help would be great thanks leg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks