• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery Antenna Base

The base in question was given to me by my girlfriend's dad who got it eons ago in a lot of surplus equipment. It is currently mounted on my Jeep Cherokee for my CB radio. I know the mount on a mount set up looks weird. My original intent was to use a retaining disc from an angle grinder and a piece of flat stock to sandwich to whole set up but it was to thick and I couldn't get any contact for the antenna. Eventually I will tack weld the disc on. Anyways if anyone could let me know what the mount is and what came off of that would be great.

The mount is about 9.5" tall, the mounting plate is about 11" wide. The bottom is hollow and there is a plastic plate on the back side that holds a grommet for the cable. Thanks!

Attachments

I like it.
Is that a sticker fron JAX outdoor gear?
Thank you, and yes JAX store in Ft. Collins Colorado. My Aunt lives in Ft. Collins and she took me there. All I can say is that store is probably the ultimate outdoor gear store I have ever been to. Camping gear, cloths, footwear, fishing gear, shooting gear, hunting gear, guns, ammo, archery, boating, military surplus all under one roof and locally owned!

I see papakb's bid and raise him100! LOL GRC-106 for an M-151 ,left rear corner.

popacom / BILL:mrgreen:
Thank you papacom,
Does anyone have a picture of one of these installed on a MUTT? Either my google-foo is weak or these things are hard to come by. Just wanted to see one installed.

P.S. This mount doesn't have any bolt holes in the top which i thought was strange, it just has a single hole in the top which measures 3 1/8" inches. So I assuming that the antenna base is a sandwich type? Wound it be possible to run an original antenna on this using a military (what ever type its is) to pl259 adapter?

BillIdaho

I've seen (and have) about every radio antenna nmount for a MUTT, and upon as close as inspection as I can tell from those pictures, that isn't a GRC mount. Not for a MUTT anyway.
Maybe Canadian, maybe Israeli, but I don't think US.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 2 NOS just like this one and it came out of complete install kits FOR A GRC-106 on
a M-151 left rear corner! If you look at the left hand side of the mount at the bottom you will see that the mount has a small lip(apx. 1/4") this is where it wraps around the corner edge of M-151 body, a lot of the earlier AB-15 guard receiver antenna mts . were made this way also, this unit was for the High power rigs,
as evidenced by the WARNINGs stenciled on the mt. usually mounted (correct me papakb if I am wrong) MP-65 antenna base and the appropriate ,sections for the task. Also to prove that this is
in fact for the M-151 the footmans loops are placed on the mt. to accommodate the install of the
vehicle top. I will take a pic of one of mine and post when possible. Thanks for your time and consideration

popacom /BILL :jumpin:

Last edited:

I have 2 NOS just like this one and it came out of complete install kits FOR A GRC-106 on
a M-151 left rear corner! If you look at the left hand side of the mount at the bottom you will see that the mount has a small lip(apx. 1/4") this is where it wraps around the corner edge of M-151 body, a lot of the earlier AB-15 guard receiver antenna mts . were made this way also, this unit was for the High power rigs,
as evidenced by the WARNINGs stenciled on the mt. usually mounted (correct me papakb if I am wrong) MP-65 antenna base and the appropriate ,sections for the task. Also to prove that this is
in fact for the M-151 the footmans loops are placed on the mt. to accommodate the install of the
vehicle top. I will take a pic of one of mine and post when possible. Thanks for your time and consideration

popacom /BILL :jumpin:
Yes, I took the tail light off to install this because of the lip, and I always wondered what that loop was for, makes perfect sense now!
Thanks for the info

The hole is actually 2 inches, when using my worn out tape measure I started at 1 inch and forgot to subtract the inch :cookoo:

So knowing this, could I use a AB-15/GR or MP-65 and MS-116a, 117a and 118a antennas in conjunction with a CB radio or is this a no-no. Are these tunable for SWR? I am a total radio newb

Wolf.Dose

Your civilian radio frequencies will work with a military antenna if the antena lenght fits to the wave lenght of the CB radio you use. Criteria is : one eight or a quarter of the wave lenght must fit into the antenna lenght. The last details you must check with a frequency determination device which gives you some information of the antenna efficiancy from the reading (how good is your field power). The better the field power, the better your reading and writing even with a CB radio.
Wolf