• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery crap-out M35A2c

47to70

Took the old gal to town today and she shut down on me several times, was hard to restart, excessive smoke, rough idle. Toped off tank, only took 15 gallons, added PRI-D and weed eater oil as always. Pulled some fuel off all filters, looked good, all the clear lines were full of fuel. Got a few miles out of town and she shut down again, cranked her longer then I like to, no start, gave it a shot of starting fluid and got her going although running rough. A strange squeaking noise came from the engine, lasted about 50 yards and then she went back to running like her old self. The remaining 20 miles back home she ran great This happened to me about two years ago, had her towed home ($300) and the next day she ran fine..........changed all the fuel filters back then and do NOT believe this is the problem.

Like to hear your thoughts (other then change filters.......am sure they are good).

smoke

I would check the fuel tank,in tank pick up pump. Make sure plate on bottom not loose and pickup hose is intact and not collapse. From there line to filters than to pump and return line back to tank

47to70

Yeah, a collapsed hose or the pump picking something up in the fuel tank could cause my come-and go problem.....................Thanks for the help!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like maybe water in the fuel. Have you let it sit overnight and drained the filter housings? Catch what you drain and see if it has water in it. Is the fuel tank kept full all the time? If not, you'll get condensation build up in the fuel system.

dmetalmiki

When they "draw" smoke it can (and was on mine) a blocked fuel line coming into the pump. That was years ago. But, I do remember that the fault causing hose and metal piping went across the front frame and entered a FILTER (GAUZE) in a union at the front low down (bottom) of the pump. EXACT problem you have. Changed out that line and it never missed a beat after that. (actually I have just been reminded it was the 530C that kept smoking and stopping. Everything else was clean and good. But that bottom filter was blocked good. And I have never checked or had problems with those pump metal mesh filters on our other deuces. Look for the funny quiggly bend union on the inlet to the pump!. Hope this helps. Post up the fault found and the (actual) remedy.

Last edited:

47to70

Tank is keep full most of the time, but was down to 3/4 full and we got a lot of rain the other day................sure won't hurt to drain the primary and see what comes out......but to date, have never had any water in the system.

Dmetalmiki: Had to replace that line last year.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

47to70

Let her sit for two days, drained primary, nice clean fuel came out, hit accessory switch, fuel flow increased (in tank pump working as it should). Started her, ran fine. Pulled in tank pump looking for bad hose......................to my dismay, it looked almost brand new. Did find bottom hose clam loose, don't see how that could be any real problem. Ideas?????

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Gimp. Sounds like water in the fuel. Park the truck level and drain some fuel out of the tank. Any water will be on the bottom of the tank. As Gimp suggested, drain the filters as well. If there is water in the tank, it will be on the bottom and sloshing around as you drive and every once in a while the in-tank will pick up a slug of water and send it on to the filters. Draining some fuel out of the tank will also allow some of the trash in the tank to exit as well.

47to70

Have drained the fuel filters three times (that was the first thing I tried)......no water in them. Just parked truck so left front end of fuel tank is at the lowest point, will let her sit for a day then stick the end of my suction hose in the left front corner of the tank and drain into a clear 2 gallon jug and see what comes out. Hope it is water in the tank, easy fix, but really don't think that's the case.

47to70

Let truck sit 2 days and sucked fuel out as stated above...............NO WATER...............and fuel was very clean, no junk in it. And she fires right up and runs fine????????

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

OK. If the truck still 'conks' after a short run, And the smoke is excessive as it slows down, then (I am sad to report!) It is (still) a blockage on the suction side. So, What now?. With the engine running, loose the bleed screws on each fuel filter in turn. Fuel should gush from the screw. So tighten immediately. (catch 'cans' or trays underneath). Remember, IF no fuel gushes from the screw then immediately tighten the screw, As you don't want to draw air in. IF this is the case, go to the tank and loosen the OUTPUT line. (engine off). Fuel should 'Gush from here. (with or without the engine running). (same trays under truck!). IF the engine runs and there is no gush, either from the filters or the tank outlet, that is normal on a deuce, as that engine and pump setup WILL run without the in tank pump, Which will make the diagnosis harder as you wont know if and where the "suction block" is. (But hopefully you have a good working in tank pump). Next point to check if all clear line wise..Are the injector pressures. So read up T.M.9-2910-226-34. after perusing T.M. 9-2815-210-34-1. (T.O.( 38G1-48-12-1.)). Hopefully you are now getting somewhere after all your efforts.

47to70

Thanks dmetalmiki, just noticed your position, spent a year in London, 73-74, was posted to the embassy there......Cheers Mate!

Have good flow from all three fuel filter with engine running, and with engine stopped and electrical switch on (good in tank pump), will not put her on the road for a good test run until I get a new front wheel seal in so it will be a few days

CMPPhil

Hi

Might I ask a really stupid question, are you 100% sure the tank vent is not plugged?

Reason I ask, is my gas 3ton shut down on over the weekend when I took it out to pack down a heavy wet snow here in NH ground to soft to plow and after 10 to 15 minutes of running at half throattle in heavy snow the engine just shut down. Climbed down out the cab to visually confirm I had fuel. Discovered I had forgotten to remove the rubber glove I'd put over the fuel cap and filler neck. I put them on the filler necks to cut down on the breathing as the temperature changes. In this case the glove was suckered down tight. Now I know you don't have a rubber glove over your tank spout, but are you sure it is not sealing instead of venting as fuel is drawn out.

Enjoy reading abut your diagnostic process on the problem. Look forward to hearing what fixes the problem.

Cheers Phil

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, I'd say its fuel related, but it could be something else. I'd say change fuel filters but your first post makes it sound like your not apt to do that.

Rats nest in the air filter can?

Oil pressure dropping out?

Parking brake sticking?

47to70

Thanks for the ideas, am sure can rule them out, but will inspect all the components you mentioned..................oil pressure is good. The good news is got my fuel gauge fixed while was messing around with the old gal.

Last edited:

47to70

Well, got the front axel seal in last week, took her out for a short test run (about 8 miles) and it ran fine. Drove to town and back today (about 60 miles round trip) and she purred like a big kitten................its hard to fix something when it don't want to act broke, but as stated earlier, the same thing happened to me about 2 years ago.