• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery HMMWV Trailer

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I just won the auction for an odd HMMWV trailer. To me it looks like an early version of the m1101/m1102. Here's what the listing said about it: 1975 Silver Eagle LWHMTC 1.5-Ton Cargo Trailer. Repairs may be required.
hmmwv trailer 2.jpghmmwv trailer.jpghmmwv trailer 3.jpg

The year doesn't sound right and a search for LWHMTC didn't find any info. Anyone seen another like it or have any thoughts on it?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool, looks like a pre-production prototype of the M1101. Can't be 1975, HMMWV came to life in 1984. LWHMTC could stand for Light Weight High Mobility Trailer Cargo??

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
it is a preproduction M1101 series trailer, circa early 1990's. Pretty cool. I saw another one much like it in Weare NH rally several years ago.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I took these photos a few years ago of one of the same. I forget where, but I remember seeing some pre production info even referring to this trailer as a M101A4.
Thanks for the pictures!
It looks like that one may be an earlier build, since the one I've got has the m-series taillights and clearance lights as well as the tie downs that are more like the ones on the production m1101s.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yesterday my brother and I road tripped down to Pennsylvania to pick up the trailer. It's in decent shape, the jack is missing and the tailgate latches are broken but other than that not too bad. Since the tires had no air we changed it over to some little tires for the trip back.
image.jpgimage.jpg
It had a bolt on lunette extension with some CARC green paint on it that matched the trailer.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Here's what it looks like behind a HMMWV.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
The frame is aluminum as well the body. It was delivered in 1991, the forestry tag was covering part of the data plate so that's probably why the year was listed wrong.