• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery Metal

Stan

Ordered some shear pins from Memphis Equipment for the Deuce winch. Now in my limited experience all I've heard of or read about were aluminum pins. So; I get my six pins ($1.60 ea.) and they don't look like alum., there to heavy to be alum., and a magnet sticks to them. So I call M.E., the parts guy describes the pin I have says they are some kind of pot-metal and that is what they have been using for about six years. He assures me that they have the same shear rating. Anyone ever seen these ?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the alloy? If they are reproduction John should know......
I have asked the question before, don't understand why it is such a secret.

houdel

Stan said:
a magnet sticks to them
If a magnet sticks to them they sure ain't aluminum or "pot metal"!!!! Last I knew, magnets only stick to iron & iron alloys (i.e., steel). I'd send those babies back and get the correct aluminum shear pins. Busting up your winch because your $1.60 shear pin didn't shear when it was supposed to is just plain piss-poor economics. A shear pin is analogous to a fuse/circuit breaker in an electrical circuit - if it doesn't blow when it is supposed to, you are in a world of hurt!

Stan

RE: Re: Mystery Metal

I was leary of using them from the start. So I thought I'd ask about it here. Tried one yesterday, it does fit, but does it shear is the concern. Lacking any positive input from someone I don't think I'll use them.

George

RE: Re: Mystery Metal

Stan, do the pins from MECO have a dome type head on one end (instead of the cotter pin hole on both ends), and have a dark coating of a dried preservative ? If so, it sounds like the NATO style pins. There have been a bunch of those brought over here. I don't blame you for being careful and if you don't feel comfortable with them I would keep looking. But there are a lot of the dome head pins being used and I have never heard of a problem with them.

JDToumanian

According to Wikipedia, "pot metal" typically contains 0.1% iron. I don't know if that's enough to cause the alloy to be noticeably magnetic, but I find it hard to believe Memphis would steer you wrong.

Jon

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i had a friend who stuck a bolt in his. it didnt shear but the u joint broke. it cause the shaft to fling around wildly and it busted up his radiator. we all know how expensive radiators are. i would rather buy a winch than a radiator but i would rather not buy anything if i could help it LOL

Stan

Now we're getting somewhere. George's description from two posts up is right on the money. NATO style pin, OK. I can work with that, I wouldn't think M.E.CO. would have been selling the wrong item for years. The pot-metal description was from the parts man when I called back to question if the pins were correct. That may not be the correct metal description. The magnet seems to have a rather weak attraction actually. Talked to the parts guy again just now and he assured me that they have been selling them for years and that they will do shear the same as the alum. So I'm going to use my NATO shear pins and keep on trucking.

HAPPY VETERANS DAY TO ALL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks