• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mystery object M151A2

L1A1

M109a3UK
Not sure what to tell you as my A2 has nothing like that under it. I've posted a link to this thread over on www.g838.org so maybe one of the mutt guys over there will chime in shortly and we'll have an answer.
Regards,
Matt

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need better/more pics of it.

I see a worm gear hose clamp on the right end. It looks like it is holding a "boot" on?

Is it a spare starter motor? Some how jerry rigged under there?

Or, is it an aftermarket add on fuel pump?

Last edited:

vtdeucedriver

Weird, I would not think that its a fuel pump being WAY back there. Post this on the G838 after you clean up that area and take better pics.

Im wondering if its part of the "sniffer" kit that the A2's had???

rickf

Nothing I have ever seen, definitely not a starter for a 151. Looks like a motor attached to a bell with a rubber boot. Pump or actuator of some sort? Should not be there. Definitely need better pictures, not to be an alarmist but be **** careful until you know what it is! The three wires makes me nervous.

Rick

Last edited:

rickf

What is the series U.X.B.?
A hydraulic pump would have fluid lines ans connections and substantially larger wiring.

Rick

nattieleather

That's the right side smoke shifter!

I have no clue...worked on M151s for about 25 years and restored a dozen of them and took apart maybe a dozen more and I've never seen anything like that. Good luck and let us know if you find anything out.

bazookajoe

mysterious object

Rick, U.X.B. was a tv series about unexploded ordnance during WWII in England . U.X.B. stood for unexploded bomb and it was made in the 70's and it was very entertaining...well worth watching ..now as to the item under the mutt I believe it is the motor for the convertible top.

stoney_bogg

Could it be a spray pump a farmer added to spray chemicals with a boom and spray nozzles off the M151?
Any hoses or clamps coming off the thing?

L1A1

I'm going to say that it is the electric motor to power a tiny screw for the mutt during water travel...........:mrgreen:
Matt

rickf

To the OP, It is safe to say we don't have a clue as to what it is other than it should not be there. The most feasible guess I heard was the chemical sprayer for a farmer.
I would still be careful with it till you get a better idea. Can you get some better pic's?

Rick

bazookajoe

J.A.T.O. bottle? .......it is pointed in the right direction......if, after some research it is found that this mutt belonged to Craig Breedlove, I think my reasoning may be founded.

I will drag the Mutt out over the weekend and get a few better pictures/maybe even remove it and see what it does? It looks like the 2 wires at the rear of the unit power it and a thick wire cable coming out of the bellow end. I wonder if its some kind of actuator to pull something:neutral:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks