• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mystery oil Leak on M1009

okay.. I went trail riding over the weekend.. and on a trail called Axle Hill, i ended up breaking front driveshaft... No worries... easy fix.. ( just a trip to axle shop and have it retubed.. about $100.) But while i was... stuck on the incline.. removing what was left of driveshaft... I had a severe oil leak... and lost about a quart of oil... not sure where it was coming from.. and once i got on level ground again.. it quit.... Now knowing i leaked that much oil in about 20 min time span... i really want to know where/ what to fix... the oil seemed to be coming from the drain hole on flywheel cover.. ( hence thinking rear main seal.) but.. as i said once on level ground again... topped off oil with a quart... and it hasnt leaked since... So.. wondering if this was just becasue of the the incline i was parked on... or if there something else going on here...

Attached is pics of the incline i was parked on, as well as broken driveshaft for your viewing pleasure...

Attachments

Barrman

Rear main, pan gasket, valve covers or very doubtfull, the vacuum pump seal are about all there are to leak out the back.

Anubis8472

Isn't there a vent hole on the back of the block inside the bell-housing area for the crankcase? (which would drain out the flywheel cover)
I seem to recall in manual trans conversions you have to install a tube and re-route that to avoid oiling the clutch.
Could it simply be the incline dumping oil out that vent?

____edit
On further investigation it seems the drain hole I was refering to is actually for the engine valley and not the crankcase, so you shouldn't have lost any oil through it.

Last edited:
Isn't there a vent hole on the back of the block inside the bell-housing area for the crankcase? (which would drain out the flywheel cover)
I seem to recall in manual trans conversions you have to install a tube and re-route that to avoid oiling the clutch.
Could it simply be the incline dumping oil out that vent?

____edit
On further investigation it seems the drain hole I was refering to is actually for the engine valley and not the crankcase, so you shouldn't have lost any oil through it.

It hasnt leaked any more since that time on incline.... ( weird....) I will investgate further when i do my transmission swap....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks