• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery Plug

niferous

I have this plug that is just hanging on my new (to me) M1009. I noticed it when I was searching through the inside last night. It's directly below the steering wheel and is hanging by wires from underneath the dash. It's black and about 4" wide by 1"-1-1/4" tall with a lot of wires coming out of the back. Anyone have any ideas about what it is or why it would be unplugged?

niferous

I will look when I get home and see if there is a card in there. If there isn't and I need a new one is it available at an auto parts store or do I have to find one somewhere?

EO2NMCB

Your autoparts store is NOT going to have it. Its only used on the military chevrolets with the 6.2 diesel. They pop up on ebay from time to time, or front line supply has them for about 150.00 IIRC. If your card is missing you can rig up a manual switch. Look in the stickys for the cucv forum, tells how.

Crash_AF

Yep, that would be an empty glow plug card slot. While you are waiting for a replacement, make a jumper switch by connecting a wire to the glow plug relay's small terminal with the light blue wire to a momentary switch connected to ground.

Later,
Joe

niferous

What size wire should I use? Can I ground it anywhere or do I need to ground it to the batteries? I assume I just hit the switch then start the truck and then turn the switch off?

Crash_AF

You can use a pushbutton or a momentary toggle switch. Just hold it up for 10-20 sec depending on how cold it is. Release it and start the truck. If it doesn't start, hold it a little longer next time.

I don't recommend a regular toggle switch because if you forget and leave it on, you will burn out the glow plugs.

Later,
Joe

blzrgb

Niferous, call this guy in memphis. The web site may not show a card but he's likely got one. memphis equiptment.com 901-774-0600

Last edited:

niferous

Niferous, call this guy in memphis. The web site may not show a card but he's likely got one. memphis equiptment.com 901-774-0600
Thanks for the tip. I called him and he had 14 in stock so I went ahead and ordered one. Cost me around $240! I might try and wire in a switch this weekend just for back-up purposes though. How often do these things go out? Hopefully not often as it seems they are no longer made!

blzrgb

Talked to a guy i know at memphis equiptment and he has a card for 231.46 or the whole harness for 307.26 If interested call the number above and ask for parts. The guy you want to talk to is Marty. If everything else is good on your truck it wouldn't be a bad price to have it all working as factory. But a push button is cheaper. hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks