• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery Plug

Crash_AF

The glow plug cards are fairly long lived if you don't abuse them by ignoring dead glow plugs. The most common failure is when the glow plugs die, causing the resistor block to send too much power to the remaining glow plugs, burning them out in a cascading effect. If you ignore the problem, eventually 24V gets sent to the glow plug controller card on the voltage sense wire and that burns out some of the circuitry.

A properly functioning system should live a nice long life.

Later,
Joe

CUCV85

Thanks for the tip. I called him and he had 14 in stock so I went ahead and ordered one. Cost me around $240! I might try and wire in a switch this weekend just for back-up purposes though. How often do these things go out? Hopefully not often as it seems they are no longer made!
:arrow:I ordered one through a friend who works for a GM dealership.
He found the Controller Card by the GM number I gave him from the Military Tecnical Manual. I paid 107.00 and it works great but,
Later learned you can bypass the Controller at the Glow Plug Relay
(Light Blue Wire) which is a ground that is activated at the Glow Plug Control Module (GP Controller).
Many have said the bypass works just fine, the Momentary Switch is a fix.
:idea:When mine fails AGAIN someday I will do the momentary switch to ground at the Glow Plug Relay.

Last edited: