• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mystery wire identification help.

FridgeBrilliance

So now that I am getting elbows deep into electrical stuff after being a bonehead and breaking things, I have two wiring mysteries I would like some help solving if possible. All of the wiring diagrams pretty much mystify me as they are just too small and way too fuzzy when sized up. So, without further excuses and explanations:

First off, the mystery wire with the connector. Blue with a red stripe. Can't seem to find anything in the vicinty to pug it into. Second up is the wiring on the IP. This looks to be some sort of hackjob, and am curious if I should do anything about it.

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

CycleJay

Fridge,

Start off with the blue wire with red stripe, follow it and see where it leads to,
if you can. Then maybe that will help you figure it out.

I will check my truck, and see if I can find that wire, and see where it goes.

2cents

Good luck...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a mystery.

The blue wire is used on the M1010 truck for a electric fuel pump that mounts on the fender. It is not used in your truck.

The green wires are for the Cold Advance and High Idle for the injector pump. The blue butt connector has been added. Usually the single wire goes to the cold advance and then a jumper wire to the high idle.

I'll see if I can find the threads talking about them.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/69534-what-wire.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/67501-what-these.html

The wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the TM 9-2320-289-20 and TM 9-2320-289-34 tech manuals. Open then with Adobe Reader and hightlight the diagram you need and save just the diagram to your harddrive. Then you will be able to enlarge them.

I have save each of the diagrams and for what ever item I am working on, I open the file in MS Paint (or your vaforite editing tool) and color the lines for that circuit. Makes it soooo much easieer to read.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I take Joe's approach one step further. I take the schematics to Office Depot and have them printed in the biggest size the can laminate and then laminate them. You can use dry erase markers to trace out what you need and can stick them to the truck with magnets. I even put grommets on mine.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sur you read the first few pages of the troubleshooting section. It will show you how to read the diagrams, the the symbles mean and what the wire sizes are.

FridgeBrilliance

Absolutely. I have all the TM's downloaded and have been reading. I mostly got the books because I don't even understand what a relay does. But it became very apparent that if I am going to do what I would like as far as the dash and getting some more action out of the headlights, that I better get some learnin in me.

kingchr

Education is almost always a good thing! As for what a relay does, you can think of it's function as a switch. It is a unit that allows you to control feeding power to a device that draws more amperage than you would want to directly control with your switch-sensor-whatever. So,to give an example, a relay on the starter circuit would allow you to not have to run a big fatty wire into the cab, to the ignition switch on the column and then back out to the starter. You just run a smaller wire out to a relay from the ignition switch that will make a relay close and provide power to the starter. This is part of what your solenoid does in your truck. Another reason to use a relay in this or another example, would be that you loose a lot of power when you run DC (Truck Type) power long distances, using a relay lets you cut down the length of the high load wiring. Does this make sense?

Hope I helped more than I confused,
Christopher

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks