• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

N Arizona M1028 Build Thread

N Arizona

So after being told I would be working here in Northern AZ untill November on 4 days a week I bought my M1028 with plans to work on it slowly during those 3 day weekends. Then I got the news that I am being transfered to Florida at the end of June. So my build plans are being expedited. So I am trying to get it in shape for the move and ready to drive around.
So few things need to be fixed before it is ready. First thing I did was to remove and repaint the batteries trays.
With all the HOAs there in West Palm I decided to go get some paint on it. There some some surface rust coming through the paint that need to be fixed. I was planing on doing he Digital Desert Camo but due to time constraints I am going to go one color. Back in 2000 I was at Fort Hood and a contractor there had a M1008 that was painted all black and I liked the way it looked. So for now I am going all flat black till I get some more time on my hands.
Here are some pictures hopefully there will be more tomorow.

Attachments

Last edited:

N Arizona

Yeah I could use some help. I need a few things down there.
One thing is some advice as to where to live. I am going to be working in Loxahatchee and need to find a place to stay. So any advice as to a good spot would be appriciated. Just looking for advice as far as neighborhoods that are MV friendly.
Next would be a line on some HMMWV tires and wheels. There is a guy in Phoenix who is selling some for $100 per tire and wheel but I would rather not try to move them from Arizona to Florida.

N Arizona

Well with the long memorial day weekend I had big plans to work on the M1028 but it has been raining all weekend. There was a small break in the weather this morning so I was finally able to do some work. I spent Saturday at the Junk yard getting parts. I found a 86 1 ton with a hydro clutch set up and some good rocker panels. Got the Clutch pedals and Steering column out of it and and rocker panel section. I was able to get the patch in and tacked in place but then it started raining again and now I am back in side. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
NA you can move in Recoverys nieghborhod hehe! Man all that good AZ wheeling that coulda been had. Well get some big mudders under there cause the swamp dont play! Good luck on your move theres a lot of good SS members in FL and a heck of a rally every year though I missed this years. Lots of good fishing real close to you as well down there if your into that kinda stuff watch them wild hogs though they can be mean!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really really nice work with the patch. I appreciate that you took the time to sand blast the rust first. I wish all of us would do that quality work on our trucks.

N Arizona

Thanks for the compliments. This is my first patch I have done. The hardest part was getting the piece out of the truck at the junk yard. It was hard to get it out as I had no place to plug in a grinder so I had to do it with small wheels on the end of a cordless drill a real PITA.

Where I am living now backs up to the Navajo Reservation and there are 100's of miles of dirt roads and trails to explore. I have been down them in my Dodge but would love to have the chance to do it in my M1028. Maybe if I can get enough work done I will take it out there but I only have a few weeks left here.

N Arizona

Today I was able to finish the patch and start on some other things before a sand storm hit. I did not have a chance to get a photo of the patch but hopefully tommorow.

Installed some of OD Irons 6TL Optima Adapters. I had the new alternator in until there was a small problem of a broken bolt. I am going to try to get a bolt remover and a tap to fix it.

Attachments

motormayhem

Today I was able to finish the patch and start on some other things before a sand storm hit. I did not have a chance to get a photo of the patch but hopefully tommorow.
How come you guys are getting all the rain? I have been waiting for a good storm to get my 1009 muddy forever and so far Tucson has only had like 3/4" of rain this year.

N Arizona

Well after a long move and a longer time getting internet I am able to bring this thread back to life. After a few weeks here in Florida I decided to do some thing about the rust on my M1028. So I got some Jassco, black paint and a grill brush and went to work on refinishing the underside of the truck. This did not take as long as I thought it would and I was finished with the prep in about 2 hours of scraping lose rust and grease off the truck. I sprayed it down with Jassco and let it sit over night. The next morning I washed it off and once it was dry gave it a coat of paint. the results were better then I thought they would be. Here are some before and after shots.

Attachments

N Arizona

Well I was able to make some more progress on the truck these past few weekends. I redid the brakes on the front end. I refinished the hubs and repainted the wheels. i was very happy with the results. I drove the truck around a little as well and discovered a few new problems. One is a coolant leak and the other is a fuel leak. These will hopefully get fixed this weekend.

Attachments

N Arizona

Recovery 4X4 I am camped out in the north part of loxohatchee. It is worlds different from the last place I was assigned. How do you deal with all the rust here? I have been here are few months and every thing is rusty!?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I find that all the rusty stuff in near the coast. My junk stays pretty decent but then again, I'm used to OH not AZ. I'm a mile south of the Publix Market off Apache. Need anything that I may be able to help with, just shout!

N Arizona

Recovery,
I am planing on painting my tuck next weekend so any help is welcome. Also I am dreading the title process here in Florida my old lady got a driver license here and it took 8 hours. Any tips?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm no painter but don't mind watching! LOL. I can help with the titling stuff. You will need VIN verifications on all your vehicles and I can do them. Fee's are out the wazoo now too. The CUCV takes a type 41 tag which is exempt from that ridiculous initial registration fee. Lemme know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks