• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

N.O.S. hinge pin removal

Six Pack

Has anyone swapped the pins out for bolts in n.o.s. hinges. My originals are not going to come apart and I don't want to waste my money on new ones if I have to almost destroy them in order to get the pins out to put bolts in for west coast mirrors.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take them off the doors - put them on top of vise jaws or something with a hole in it and beat them out with a punch. They come out. I had to do 4 of them last year and had no problems with it.

Six Pack

Thanks Doghead. I'll probably go ahead and order a set.

Thanks NY Tom, I appreciate the advice but I'm way beyond that! Hammer and punch, torch and hydraulic press. The only thing I haven't tried yet is breaking a few drill bits off in the hinge. I'm at the point where my time is becoming more valuable than money. My only concern is if the n.o.s. parts will separate after a few decades on a shelf. I don't mind buying new if it will work for me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm working tonight and tomorrow night, but have info on stainless bolts and bushings when I'm off wed/thurs. The info has been posted by devilman if you feel like searching for it.

Six Pack

G. that link is exactly what I'm going through (as have countless others). Wreckermans post mirrors my feelings exactly! I've spent the better part of my adult life fighting with worn out junk and fully understand the gratification that comes from defeating the enemy that is age and rust. After heating the heck out of it and giving it 20 tons of push I've got too many other battles to fight. I'll concede this one if n.o.s. hinges will come apart any easier.
Your greaseable hinges are a fantastic idea. Man, I'm glad I found this site!!! I just wish I had caught the bug (you know....the good one) 10-15 years ago as I live near a military base and trucks used to be plentiful.

Gimpy, thanks for the heads up. I will do some more searching.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah the old ones can be a real problem. I was working with the NOS ones and it was not an issue. But I guess it depend on the condition of NOS that you receive. Good luck!

The bolt idea above is great. Thanks to the guys who are linking these older posts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks