• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Name that noise

Barrman

I know, the beloved 6.2 is such a nice smooth running and quiet engine that we never hear any noises unless our ear is next to a valve cover and we make sure it is actually on since we can't always tell by just standing at the front of the truck.

Be that as it may. I replaced an IP in a vehicle belonging to another addict today. I didn't prime the IP or crack any lines. I just cranked for 10 seconds, let it sit for at least 20 minutes and repeat. (It is over 100° outside today and around 98° in my shop. I have no problem walking inside the a/c for 20 mintues on a day like this.) It fired up at "9-one thousand" on the 5th try.

The engine is smoother than before and much better than my 1009 at idle. While I was using a light to check for leaks under the intake on those very frustrating line connections. (of course, one of them has a drip to be dealt with later in the cool of the night) I kept hearing a "tinkle, tinkle" sound that was very regular. This is a M1010 and has the big A6 a/c compressor over on the drivers side and the noise seemed to be coming from there. Since I had removed the rear mount bracket for it, that was my first look over. That wasn't it. Finally found it at the power steering pump and ran to shut the truck off.

Attached is a photo showing the bolt behind the pulley worked all the way out so it can vibrate against the pulley. Anybody that has read the CUCV forum on here knows that CUCV ps pump bolts and brackets break pretty regular. While resting my arms from what seems like a permanent leaning rest required to work on the IP earlier, I had seen the ps belt was loose and found a missing ps mount bolt under the a/c compressor. I don't have that size metric bolt here at the house and don't plan to drive the truck until I get one. I didn't even think to look for the bolt under the pulley.

That is why I am writting this. If while listening to your "dryer full of lawnmower parts" idle in its own quiet way you hear a pretty regular tinking sound. Check your power steering pump mounts and anything near a pulley.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But did the new IP fix the original problem?:wink:

The rust bucket (RUSTY) m1009 I am working on now had the same power steering bolt problem. Made sure I snugged all of them.

Barrman

I can't make it die anymore sitting still like I could by bopping the throttle with the old pump. I won't really know until I fix the drip and get the ps pump back on tight so I can take it down the road. Probably Monday if things go right.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the bolts on the backside of the PS pump. Mine had backed out also

ODdave

"Ran to shut the truck off" ?????????

A good tech would have just pulled the pink wire off..............;-)

J/K

Thanks for the heads up!

Barrman

Oh, I thought about the pink wire about the time I got past the front tire. By then, momentum had me going for the key.

Good point. I thought about not including that but figured full honesty no matter how stupid it made me look was the only way to go. Even on small stuff only about 10 people will catch.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your truck looks good in that pic Dave, if you want it to look even better, bring it to Haspin next week!

ODdave

Sorry, I can't take credit for that, it was my buddy Leif at the show we had. I told him about your *90 parking and he really wants to meet ya. (He ripps doughnuts in that truck:cookoo:) You and Dave should take a trip up here some time.

DokWatson

Same thing happened to me, was pulling a winch line in when I started to hear it...took a few people to finally figure out what the noise was. Had to use a pulley puller to move the pulley far enough to fit a wrench in to tighten it back down.

Barrman

I was faster than a walk which at our age equals a run, right?

I got a Snap-On 15mm combination wrench to fit between the bracket and the pulley today. All 3 bolts going into the pump were loose at least 3 turns.

Got the belt tight, rpm set and took it for a test drive. Problem fixed and rock solid no vibration idle. I really need a new pump on my 1009 if this is how they are supposed to run.