• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Name that part!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 211's have them. Much refined though, and mounted down in front of the tool box. They do not use a circ pump, but use thermo convection. They get hot enough to create a bubble of steam, which rapidly expands and forces the fluid up and away from the heater. The routing is first to the engine, then out of it, through each battery box via a stainless hot plate the battery sits on (inside an insulated battery box), then back to the heater. The heaters exhaust is ducted to a shroud around the oil pan, to warm it.

The heater always worked, but once north of the Brooks Range, very much by myself, it would not ignite. It was an honest -50F. Getting a little worried about running my batteries down, I gave the heater a little shot of starting fluid. Ignition was very audibly successful. I have learned to be considerably more descrete with the stuff. An hour later, the truck was running.

Pineslayer

Just want to thank everyone for this info. So many great ideas on the use of this item. Really like the idea of using the exhaust to heat something and running the return line through the batt box. Since I don't want to run a pump, going with under the hood mount to shorten things up and keep all the heat close to the motor. I'm guessing that since it has an exhaust system keeping water out would be smart, so if mounted low I should keep to shallower waters :) Not planning on needing scuba gear and making videos so I should be OK.