• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Name that sound

Sintorion

I have been avoiding highway use, but had no choice today. While cruising at 55 mph on a warm 80 degree day there was a loud fan like noise that nearly made me jump out of my seat. It had no effect on speed or power, but it was a sound like when you step on the gas and the trans shifts, but obviously that wasn't the case. The noise kicked in for about 45 seconds or so then kicked off. Temp was pretty constant at about 210 on the gauge. It did this several times over a 10 mile drive. Is this normal? or does any idea have any idea? It is a m998 with a GEP 6.5

CMPPhil

Hi

It would fun if someone would put together an audio or video of all the common and not so common sounds of MVs make. The difference between the "Oh that's normal " and "The next sound is a big bang" would be useful.

On my trucks with no fan clutch when that roar goes away it means the fan belt is gone, which will be followed by the engine boiling.

Cheers Phil

infidel got me

NDT-- Are there any advantages to the old school fan clutch setup? Seems like it would be a bulletproof setup. Temps. stay the same, or any lower??? Like eliminating electrics and hydraulics out of the cooling system...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT-- Are there any advantages to the old school fan clutch setup? Seems like it would be a bulletproof setup. Temps. stay the same, or any lower??? Like eliminating electrics and hydraulics out of the cooling system...
The only disadvantage I can think of is that the fording lockout feature goes away. AM General had to design to the possibility that the HMMWV would be driven at 55 mph in 120 degree ambient temps and had to have a way to immediately ford without shattering the fan. I don't plan on doing that. With the viscous clutch, the cooling system works just like any other modern vehicle. No continual hunting of engine coolant temps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks