• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Napa 6tl batteries

davesgmc

Needed a set of batteries fir the m35a2. Figure I'll actually out in the batteries it's supposed to have. Dang they are expensive. Napa, with the discounts, had the best deal. But they said they didn't have them in stock. Only one in Kansas City area, but could get another one brought up from Oklahoma the next day,,,well, weird, but ok.
Picked them up today and emptied my wallet. When carrying it out to truck it seemed a little light, but was still really heavy. Didn't think much of it. Brought em home took old junk ones out, washed battery box out, put a few more zip ties on hold down bolts to hold em in place. Went to get one out if the back of my truck. Thought, I better at least check voltage on them before I carry these heavy suckers over and put them in battery box. ZERO volts! Both of them. WTH? Pulled a cap of to check fluid level. Empty, completely dry! Both if em. Are you kidding me?
Called Napa and told them. He said tyA5ts kinda weird. Looked them up on his computer, said, yeah, they don't come with acid, you gutta buy it separate. Nope, I ain't buying it. Told him I'd return them in the morning. He called me back a few minutes later told me that part number they ordered, 7256d, comes dry,,,,for long time storage. Part 7256 is ready to use, and 30 dollars cheaper each! And the local warehouse has plenty if them in stock, hell order those and have them in the morning.

Frustrating, just frustrating. Never heard of such a thing. Now I have.

fasttruck

The problem when buying dry batteries is to find someone who sells the acid. Battery acid is a hazmat so many vendors don't stock it. The last time I bought a dry battery I was lucky there was a place in the area that dealt with forklift batteries and such and they had the acid. Autozone no.

V8srfun

The problem when buying dry batteries is to find someone who sells the acid. Battery acid is a hazmat so many vendors don't stock it. The last time I bought a dry battery I was lucky there was a place in the area that dealt with forklift batteries and such and they had the acid. Autozone no.
I think the bigger problem is the employee not knowing how to find the acid in the system. A couple years ago I was working at Autozone and a customer asked me for some battery acid. I searched the system for 10 minutes and could not find it. When I went to the store manager who had been with the company for 18 years he said search this and you will find it. They do make it hard to find in the system but it was still available a few years back if you knew how to find it.

jasonjc

I've got 2 24volt battery's for the gen set that are dry. They came with the gen sets from a depot rebuild , they were still in wood crates on the trailer.
As for auto zone not being able to find thing in there system, well they can't find thing in there store either. I tried to buy a 50' roll of brake line and they said they didn't have it. I had to show the guy were it was in the back.

V8srfun

I've got 2 24volt battery's for the gen set that are dry. They came with the gen sets from a depot rebuild , they were still in wood crates on the trailer.
As for auto zone not being able to find thing in there system, well they can't find thing in there store either. I tried to buy a 50' roll of brake line and they said they didn't have it. I had to show the guy were it was in the back.
I am speaking from experience from working there. Most of the employees at Autozone are part time employees that work there because they are so flexible with the work schedule. Most of the part time employees (red shirt) are not knowledgeable and honestly don’t care. The managers (grey shirt) are much more knowledgeable but not always and care more about the customers and store performance because it effects them. I know it is hard but be patient with these people they get paid pennies to work there and the turnaround is high so they probably have not been working there long enough to get a good understanding of how everything works.

I do know this most people that walk in to the parts store act like they know everything and that is really annoying to the employees. If someone walked in to the store and treated me like a subordinate moron I would act stupid and waist their time and purposely give them the wrong part. I got so tired of dealing with people that walked in and gave me a hard time because they were having a bad day. Now if you walked in and treated me like a normal human being I would have done everything in my power to get you exactly what you wanted and as fast as possible. To this day every time I walk into that store I get asked if I want my job back.

davesgmc

napa has the acid too.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a draw in the lighting circuit before, which went away by disconnecting the main light switch. If I recall correctly (been a few years) it was the switch itself that had a short or something in it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stocking and selling battery acid is not any more difficult than selling wet cell batteries. Same shipping codes and hazmat procedures so I say BS to auto parts stores telling you otherwise. No more hazardous than a battery.

Napa does sell some dry batteries specifically low volume ones so they are not dead on the shelf from sitting. They all have a "d" on the end for dry. I suspect the counterman just did not know as very few full size batteries are sold not filled. Almost all small motorcycle, atv, etc and similar size are sold dry with a small container of acid. They sell the acid in a small box, gallon boxes, and 5 gallon boxes.

NAPA and Oreilly 6tl are made by exide. I have used them but find they are lighter then the OE military exide battery as I normally eat the core charge and sell them as scrap and get more $. Not sure why unless they are made to a different spec for military.

Check the round date code stickers and make sure they sent you fresh ones.

In another world I sold parts for 20 years, 10 at NAPA and also ran a distribution warehouse for them for a few years.

davesgmc

Stocking and selling battery acid is not any more difficult than selling wet cell batteries. Same shipping codes and hazmat procedures so I say BS to auto parts stores telling you otherwise. No more hazardous than a battery.

Napa does sell some dry batteries specifically low volume ones so they are not dead on the shelf from sitting. They all have a "d" on the end for dry. I suspect the counterman just did not know as very few full size batteries are sold not filled. Almost all small motorcycle, atv, etc and similar size are sold dry with a small container of acid. They sell the acid in a small box, gallon boxes, and 5 gallon boxes.

NAPA and Oreilly 6tl are made by exide. I have used them but find they are lighter then the OE military exide battery as I normally eat the core charge and sell them as scrap and get more $. Not sure why unless they are made to a different spec for military.

Check the round date code stickers and make sure they sent you fresh ones.

In another world I sold parts for 20 years, 10 at NAPA and also ran a distribution warehouse for them for a few years.
the date codes on these were 7-20. july? isint even here yet.
as far as cores, i just return regualr automotive batteries as cores, wait til the dumb kid is working and go in just before close and return them.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had extremely good luck with Interstate 6TLs. Both of my deuces came from the military with Interstate 6TLs and I got a lot of years out of them. I replaced both with Interstate 6TLs from my local parts store and they are still performing strong after several years. Both were serviced with acid by Interstate prior to delivery. I also use Interstate batteries in my John Deere 4600 and 5520 tractors, both AGMs. Many years old and still going strong.

MICHAEL450f

Two years ago autozone sold the acid. They dont have it out on the floor and it was for commercial customers, but if you asked nice enough they would sell it.

Dunkeye11

Been running the Napa 6TLs for a few months they work great! No issues starting after weeks of sitting can’t say the same for my Tj that has killed its optima during the virus since I drove the deuce to work!

Dipstick

I've had pretty good experiences with NAPA myself. I bought a pair of 6TLs there a few years ago all charged up. They even gave me a discount because I'm a regular. I went the spin on adapter route early on for both oil and fuel and they always have the filters I need. Come to think of it, I'm due for new fuel filters now.

sue

In both of our military vehicles (+all of our civilian 12 vehicles total) we just use the $88 Costco 12 volt batteries. 4+ years of service easy. Plus great warranty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks