• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NAPA (American made) Deuce Brake Cylinder Rebuild Kits

lino

Hey All,

In an attempt to get some parts in stock to be able to rebuild my brake cylinders, I ordered the NAPA UP45 cylinder rebuild kits - from their online store.

Here's the response...

Thank you for shopping on NAPAonline.com. We apologize for the delay in contacting you about your order. Unfortunately, the items you ordered are not available at this time. They are on factory back-order, and we do not have an estimated delivery date. Your order has been cancelled, and you will not be charged for the item.

We apologize for any inconvenience and again we thank you for shopping NAPAonline.com.

Vernell Washington
Customer Service Representative
NAPA/ Genuine Parts Company
NAPA Online.com
NAPA Prolink.com
Norcross Ga 30071

Doesn't look good for US made rebuild kits...

ciao
lino

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just go to any decent auto parts store and ask for 1 3/8" wheel cylinder kits. They are out there.

lino

An interesting update...

I went into my local NAPA and asked about these, and after some mumbling, they were able to procure me a full set of rebuild kits, via Ohio, Tennessee, and DC.

I apparently made the wrong assumption that ordering from NAPA Online would do the same thing. Clearly not.

That said, they appear to be getting scarce.
Additional comments (for what they are worth) from the NAPA guys were that rebuild kits for everything are getting scarce. It's too often cheaper to just get new assemblies from China...

ciao
lino

welldigger

Your about 2 years late on the no more American made wheel cylinders. I have bought many of them from napa and up until mid last year it was a 50/50 mix of Chinese and American made. Now it's all chinese. Still very much available though.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So much of our industrial base has been exported, that if we ever put a trade embargo on China, the USA will quickly grind to a halt. :soapbox:

If you can identify a list of critical spares for your truck, you might think of picking some up. The price will not go down in the future as long as people are using these trucks.

brasco

I'm in the commercial vehicle and off road vehicle industry and I can tell you that it's almost impossible to build anything without sourcing parts from China. All of the big names (John Deere, Cummins, Mack/Volvo, etc) use parts from China. The good news is that some parts from China are actually pretty good if you get the right supplier. The bad news is that there are a ton of bad suppliers for every good China supplier... the trick is to get parts that are approved by the OEM or some other big name that has done testing and inspections in China (our company does this). I'm thinking NAPA would also stand by their parts if anything ever went bad with them.

I'm with Trailboss, however, it doesn't hurt to get spares whenever you can.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I don't feel that old I do remember when everyone was complaining about the quality of anything coming out of Japan. What happened? They turned their quality around and realized they could build quality goods in the states. Open plants all over the place.

That's Japan, what about China. Let's see, they recently purchased about 1/3 of the old GM SUV plant in Moraine, Ohio and are in the process of hiring 1,500 workers.

A trend? I don't know but what I do know is that Dayton used to be in the top 5 for the highest number of machine tool companies in the U.S.. Maybe the new plant will help.

Time will tell.

rustystud

This is for short Hydra-Vac, I took one off (probably a good one) when I went through and re-built the brakes, now it is blowing brake fluid out the air vent. The one I took off I have tore down going through cleaning it up. Probably ok, but don't want to put it back on unless I knwo for sure it is good.

http://www.realcustomtrucks.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=8345007 $78
You can easily test the short style air-pac for proper application of the push rod with a air nozzle. Put air pressure to the apply tube and watch what happens. You should hear and feel the piston apply and you will feel air being forced out the hydraulic port. You will also be able to test and see if any air is coming out the hydraulic side outlet port while the piston is fully applied. If air is present then you have a leak between the air and hydraulic side.

Last edited:

MyBigDeuce

Gotcha, Ibrought the parts with me to work this morning. If I have time, I am going togo through it an clean all the parts. I will try that after I put it back together.

lino

Back to the cylinder rebuild kits, I'm happy to report that Napa got them in yesterday and they are not Chinese. They were hecho'ed in Mexico according to the box.
However, even better news was that upon opening, the seals themselves have "Made in USA" molded into them.
For reference, I paid $11.61 each and $11 freight.

Pics attached
IMG_1780.jpgIMG_1781.jpgIMG_1782.jpg

ciao
lino

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fixed your thread title.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks