• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Napa muffler that will really quiet the truck down?

Alex400

I like the subdued sound of a muffeled Deuce, theres still the whistle and no mistaking what it is, but additional noise reduction would be nice. My Napa job's a straight-through model. I think the next thing is to get rubber matting and insulate the cab. I really do prefer more quietness.
a good coat of rhino lining (or similar) on the floor would help deaden some of that noise as well as make a durable no skid surface in the cab.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I don't drive mine enough to bother me since I like it loud. I didn't get it because it was quiet.

I got them so I could start both trucks on Earth Day and blow black smoke everywhere and make sure they could hear me two states over.

Am I a bad person? ;-)

maxim

Try this:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/1797-muffler-modification.html

I used a straight though muffler from a truck shop of unknown origin. It goes on and off of the stack in place of the straight pipe. I used it on a 1200 mile trip and it does knock down the exhaust sound. The transmission , gear case, and engine noise is still quite loud and I still wore muffs but it did cut the 'blat' of the exhaust especially at high speed. Yes, you still can hear the whistler turbo...Did not seem to effect the power or milage. It also protruded a bit higher than the straight pipe

JTugwell

i got a napa muffler on mine. makes it quite a bit (if not drastically) quieter. no hearing protection required. transmission/engine noise is still loud though. i would say all in all it cut the noise in half. i can hear a phone ring, but still cannot talk on it. carry on a conversation, or listen to the radio.

clpo

Installed my muffler tonight. Exhaust noise is greatly reduced. Can hear the whistle! I forgot to bring the decibel meter home from work, so no hard numbers for you. Kinda freaky now. I can hear every tick, rattle, clank, bump and I am paranoid about losing another engine anyway!! As others have said, still a lot of volume coming out of the engine, tranny, road noise.

Hammer

D turbo with the longer napa muffler made a nice difference. I can drive around town, etc. without hearing protection. But I still use GOOD ear muffs on longer trips.
I had a 4" muffler on it for a while, and the extra size in diameter made it a deeper and more 'throaty' sound, more like a big truck kind of sound. And that was only with it being 4" from the fender up to the rain cap.
Muffler or not, you will still want hearing protection for longer trips. You will be hard pressed to silence the cab enough to completely remove the requirement for hearing protection. (I will be doing my darndest on my 5 ton soon though, I have a couple thousand miles I will be driving it in the near future!).

airmech3839

anyone get a db reading yet on these bullet mufflers?? want to install before Christmas for going up to a drive through light show with music and I would like the 15 people in the back to be able to enjoy the lights and sounds with a soft rumble in the background as we idle around the slow drive. also I work nights and neighbors would like it if idled in at night to be quieter......:rolleyes:

dk8019

I believe 21470 is the one I have on mine as well. Much quiter exhaust tone, but the gear noise on my M109 makes up for that. The M35A2 might get one as well, but to be honest, I wear hearing protection regardless, so it might be somewhat pointless.:-D

yeager1

Measured the exhaust noise today with a certified meter. At ear level in the cab, windows open but not driving, I measured a max of 98.9db. Under the dash, measured a max 108.2db. Seems like the engine and the rattling makes more noise then the exhaust does. I'll remeasure after the muffler goes in.

tx399999

I went with the Dynomax and I couldn't be happier. Combined with the flapper the cab is much quieter. It still sounds like a deuce but a much more pleasant ride. I think with the muffler, flapper, header paint, and 3.5" clamp cost me around $65. For me it has been the most worthwhile project on my truck yet. I had to add about 2 inches of bar stock to the mirror brackets and removed the bracket for the turret, but the install came out very clean. I plan on putting the heat shield back on, but it needs to be welded at the bottom where the screen broke off.

Attachments

armadillofz1

i just bought the napa dynomax muffler. installed it and now i'm looking for a 7" saddle clamp to attach it to the truck's stack mount. so i figured i'd run down to napa and pick one up. unfortunately they don't MAKE a 7" saddle clamp. so now the problem. what are you guys using to attach these mufflers to the truck.