• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Napa oil filter o-rings alternatives

Sevo

Napa oil/fuel filter o-rings alternatives

I would like to change my oil this weekend and the fuel filters and oil filters. Napa has all the filters I need but does not have the o-ring replacements.

My questions are:

Is there another auto parts store that carries the same o-rings besides NAPA ( i have a oreily and advanced auto) and if so what is the part numbers? They dont have the fuel or the oil gaskets

I read where someone doesn't replace the original o-rings on the filters, they said it worked fine with out.. anyone have any insight on this

Thanks for the help

Chris

Last edited:

chemicaljohn

I'd go for replacing them. I did my oil about 2 months ago and reused the seals, it leaked everywhere. It started about 10 min after I started it. Luckily I was letting it run to check for leaks and not on the road. I reused the fuel filter seals too, and never had a problem. It's hit and miss. You may have to take the old ones in to get them matched up.

Sevo

I'd go for replacing them. I did my oil about 2 months ago and reused the seals, it leaked everywhere. It started about 10 min after I started it. Luckily I was letting it run to check for leaks and not on the road. I reused the fuel filter seals too, and never had a problem. It's hit and miss. You may have to take the old ones in to get them matched up.

John
thanks for the reply. I really didn't want to reuse the old seals, I sure hope I dont have to. I had heard some use the seals that come with the new filters. Any reason you cant? Some on here have said you could?

thanks again for the post

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The napa numbers are good valid numbers, they may just have to order them for you. I doubt you'll find anybody stocking just the o-ring gaskets you'll need.

I have learned that when you're dealing with military surplus equipment as a civilian, you need to plan ahead for even the smallest job like changing the oil because getting parts isn't like getting a filter or gasket for a normal vehicle.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil filters (25 micron): Carquest 85133 comes with gasket.
Primary fuel filter (40 micron): Purolator 053754-01. Get this from SECO in Augusta, GA. Don't use the NAPA 3511 or equivalent for the primary, it's way too fine at 10 microns and will clog to easily.
Secondary and final fuel filters (6 micron): Carquest 86540

If you are careful and clean the gasket, you should be able to reuse the old (just leave it in place). It's not recommended, but I have done it without any problem.
When installing the canister, seat it firmly and don't turn it while the center bolt is tightened to 60 ft-lb for the oil and 85 in-lb for the fuel canisters. The oil canister center bolt threads into an insert, which may come loose if over tightened...

Edit: The 85 IN-lb torque is for top loaded canisters (-2 engines) the canisters for the dual mounts are torqued to 25 ft-lb. Sorry about that, getting too involved with the 8x8.

Last edited:

Sevo

I have learned that when you're dealing with military surplus equipment as a civilian, you need to plan ahead for even the smallest job like changing the oil because getting parts isn't like getting a filter or gasket for a normal vehicle.
I am new to the MV scene and I am starting to see what you mean...

Oil filters (25 micron): Carquest 85133 comes with gasket.
Primary fuel filter (40 micron): Purolator 053754-01. Get this from SECO in Augusta, GA. Don't use the NAPA 3511 or equivalent for the primary, it's way too fine at 10 microns and will clog to easily.
Secondary and final fuel filters (6 micron): Carquest 86540

If you are careful and clean the gasket, you should be able to reuse the old (just leave it in place). It's not recommended, but I have done it without any problem.
When installing the canister, seat it firmly and don't turn it while the center bolt is tightened to 60 ft-lb for the oil and 85 in-lb for the fuel canisters. The oil canister center bolt threads into an insert, which may come loose if over tightened...
Bjorn,

thank you for that post. So i can use the gasket that comes with the Purolator 053754-01?

I will see what I can find here locally. I appreciate the information about the torque!

Thank you.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The purolator filter comes with the correct gasket. The Carquest fuel filters come with gaskets that I don't believe are correct, however get the correct secondary and final fuel filters from SECO, #054615-01 and you should be all set.

Sevo

Bjorn,

Thanks for the info. I will give Seco a call and see if they ship.

For the car quest fuel filter are you just reusing your old one or getting a new set?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reused the old ones.....Like I said don't twist the canisters after they are seated and ready to be tightened.

Edit: SECO 1-800 733-7326 ask for Roger.

Last edited:

Sevo

Reused the old ones.....Like I said don't twist the canisters after they are seated and ready to be tightened.

Edit: SECO 1-800 733-7326 ask for Roger.

Ahh I see.. I will give it a shot.

I will call SECo Monday.. just tried and they are closed.

really appreciate it Bjorn, thank you.

uoa

Those O-rings from napa are the standard o-ring on another of NAPA's filters. I don't know which one but they can look it up on their computers. When I went to get mine they didn't have them in stock so they pulled them off the other filter and gave them to me that way.

pittdog

sevo!!! .... Like a head lamp !!! One goes out !!! Change em both !!! Save the one that still works ...wrap it up and save it for emergency !...... Pittdog ... Ret 52-d

jatonka

Oil filter gaskets at Napa are .... 5119
Secondary filter gaskets at Napa are......5070
Primary filter gaskets at Nap are....5131
They are good numbers, If they don't want to get them, I have them all, lots of them. PM me to get them. John Tennis

deuceman51

I still have a few filter kits with all correct gaskets for sale if anyone needs some. Only one I don't have is the small cannister top bolt gaskets. No matter which ones you use always let it run and check on it every few minutes to check for leaks, even our brand new HEMTT trucks leak from the factory from time to time. Play it safe and you will be alright.

Sevo

Oil filter gaskets at Napa are .... 5119
Secondary filter gaskets at Napa are......5070
Primary filter gaskets at Nap are....5131
They are good numbers, If they don't want to get them, I have them all, lots of them. PM me to get them. John Tennis
I still have a few filter kits with all correct gaskets for sale if anyone needs some. Only one I don't have is the small cannister top bolt gaskets. No matter which ones you use always let it run and check on it every few minutes to check for leaks, even our brand new HEMTT trucks leak from the factory from time to time. Play it safe and you will be alright.
Thanks guys,

The reason I asked if other auto parts stores carry them was I wanted to change my oil this weekend. I was hoping to find some replacements so I can get it done as the napa stores do not carry any of the o-rings on the shelf, They have to order them all. I am finding that MV maintenance is going to have to be planned ahead.

I have not called car quest yet as they were closed yesterday, So I will give them a shot this morning. Keeping my fingers crossed they have the Carquest 85133. I am mainly wanting to change the oil because of the recovery I will be doing monday... we will see if they have it!

FormerNewMVGuy

the gasket that come's with the napa oil filter, works fine, you have to use the flat gasket under the cans, Ive used em on four deuce's without any leaks.

The best way to go is to buy Jatonka's spin on adapters and filters. I'm still saving for them myself.

Sevo

Well I found some at car quest.. Looks like I can get the oil done.. Bought some rotella 15/40

Wish me luck first oil change on a deuce.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I found some at car quest.. Looks like I can get the oil done.. Bought some rotella 15/40

Wish me luck first oil change on a deuce.

Found some (what)? Filters or Gaskets? Please post the part numbers to confirm what you found, This thread got a bit confusing!(to me):oops:

Sevo

Edit: The 85 IN-lb torque is for top loaded canisters (-2 engines) the canisters for the dual mounts are torqued to 25 ft-lb. Sorry about that, getting too involved with the 8x8.

Bjorn,

just re-read this post.. I see you edited it. Just to make sure, I am doing it correctly, the oil canister should be torqued to 60 ft lbs, correct?

thank you for the help

Sevo

Found some (what)? Filters or Gaskets? Please post the part numbers to confirm what you found, This thread got a bit confusing!(to me):oops:

Dog head,

your right it has kind of gone all over the place.

I was talking about the oil filters from Carquest 85133 that comes with gasket. I also found the secondary fuel filters there as well but cant find the puralator primary local so I will be ordering them from a company in GA

hope this helps

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks