• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NAPA ST85 vs. ST85SB

portert0224

I went to my nearest NAPA to get the ST85 Glow Plug Relay that was recommended on this site. It was $57. The NAPA guy said "we have the ST85SB for $27". He said it was the same part, just a different manufacturer. Will the ST85SB do the same job as the ST85? Please advise.
Thanks in advance,
Tracy

rnd-motorsports

I would think the part from the other manufacture would work just fine many parts are made at the same place and put in dif boxes for the dif stores and with the napa name you just pay for the name I drove truck for cardone a parts rebuilder in philly axles,waterpumps mast cyl. and such and all the parts came off the same line at the end just the boxes were dif depending on what store they were going to say napa , parts plus, carquest etc. just like snapon for tools sometimes the name is what you are buying!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are two totally different relays.

If you use the ST85SB make sure that the coil DOES NOT use the mounting bracket for a ground.

The BWD S603 is another good substitution for the ST85. It is also cheaper.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would return with my DMM, and test the alternate relay choice(before buying). With a stock CUCV glow plug controller/system, you need a relay that has NO continuity between either of the small studs, to it mounting(isolated ground of the coil)

There is a specification for the coil resistance, not sure what your alternate will have there either and not sure it will matter.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and find out after it's installed.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just called my local NAPA, and asked. He said they are supposed to be made to the same specifications, just the SB is made "overseas" and the original ST85 is/was not always made "overseas".

I'd be willing to bet the SB version is "cheaper" in quality, as in price. Just my guess. Contact materials, wire quality, plastics, and assembly method, and other things may differ.

When I asked if they had either in stock, he looked and said, nope, just the "good" ones!....

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They had the ST85 relay instock.

I just bought the ST85 yesterday... checked the box and it was made in China. I complained stating that I come to NAPA to get parts that have "better" quality. Asst Manager stated it was made to "Napa specs" but he did knock the price down to $50.

Riverhawk

When I called NAPA they said they had the ST85 in stock. When I got there there was an ST85SB on the counter. Said his inventory was off. I questioned the difference. He said it was a good, better, best thing. ST85 being best and ST85SB being better. Cured the problem. Thanks for the advise!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks