• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nashville TN CUCV mechanic

pizzaworld

I have been having a hard time working on my CUCV....(pickup, not blazer.... m1028?) won't start, barely flickering lights going to dash. replaced GP relay and starter relay...doghead style...no difference...i've been through a lot of the forums.....and i don't have time to mess with anything else unless its simple.

I really just want to hire a mechanic...but i know these electrical things are different in the CUCV....mechanics i've talked to just tell me that they'd have to convert the whole system to 12v....or they argue with me and insist that its not a 24v system.

anyways...
does anyone know a good mechanic, preferably one who'd come to my house...in nashville tn, who could work on this issue?

i'd even hire a steel soldier member. i just can't wrap my head around the issue. i imagine it'd be easy work for someone with experience and expertise.

thank you
Harry

Skinny

Buy a voltmeter and get comfortable using it. Check battery voltage and for 12v at the bus near the wiper motor. That is a good starting point. More than likely you have dead batts or bad connections. Paying someone will make you broke really fast, I suggest using the CUCV as a learning platform or be prepaired to write big checks.

markg

welcome, if i lived closer to you i would be glad to help. first thing to do, beg, borrow or steel 2 hot batteries. top posts with at least 700 cca. take your old ones out, take em to autozone or some place like that, get them charged. after you install the better batteries, go in an turn the key,(dont crank yet) everything should light up . you should have checked all fluids by now. if youve got oil, and water in the radiator turn the key and see if it turns over. after that, you'll be excited enough to check for fuel, glow plugs and all the other stuff you can find info on right here within these walls. good luck. mark

and take some pictures so we can see what you got!!

Last edited:

Skinny

Follow the smaller diameter wire coming off of the front battery positive terminal. It will go up the firewall over to the driverside near the wiper motor. This supplies 12v to all circuits in the cab like lights, blower, dash, etc.

With a fully charged battery you should see 12.6 to 12.8v at this post. If you see less, you have a bad battery, low battery, or a corrosion/connection issue. If you see the correct voltages and still have issues with dim dash lights...welcome to a CUCV :)

You will have to dive in deeper with fuse panel and ignition switch problems. Just keep it simple...start with the basics like mentioned above. Great tools to buy: voltmeter, battery charger, test light, wire terminal kit

These old rigs needs lots of electrical help, learn how to do it yourself and gain wisdom. Not to mention save money. Remember, when you are stuck somewhere you will have the know how to troubleshoot yourself.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just down the road from you in Dickson. While I have tinkered with a CUCV before, I wouldn't call myself a expert on CUCV electrical systems.

I'm betting your glow plugs still aren't working. Either you don't have power to the glow plugs or you have enough of them burnt out that it won't start.

With even somebody that knows how to work on a CUCV, you can get into a bundle of money paying somebody to chase electrical gremlins.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks