• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nason or Imron paint?

Dodge man

The recent thread about Gillespie paint prompts me to ask if anyone has any experience with Nason paint by DuPont. I see a lot of people recommend the Rapco paints but the haz Mat costs are a killer ($80/gal!) and I used to use DuPont's Imron paint so I checked with the local DuPont dealer and he recommended their Nason paint. Frankly I've never heard of the stuff but he says that it's one of their industrial paints. I've been reading everything I could find on painting MVs and from what I've read the industrial paints don't seem to hold up well. Also the stuff is $140/gallon! I haven't used Imron in about 30 years and I'm sure it's changed. Has anyone had any experience with it on MVs? It used to be great stuff on cars but the goal there was entirely different from a MV since we wanted a shiny, metallic look so I don't know how it would work for an MV.

Carl_in_NH

$80/gal hazmat? To Florida? No, something is wrong in your calculation.

I purchased 4 gallons of Gillispie and a couple rattle cans of the same from Rapco, and the entire order including shipping and hazmat fees was less than $200.

StreetbikeDepot

I painted my Jeep with Dupont Imron 3.5 FT Flat PolyUrethane, paint code 34064 FD, Fed Spec green and at the time that I bought it the dupont dealer in OKC said that they had just sold alot of it for a fleet of new trucks that where getting painted for Tinker AFB.

Its been on there for @4 years now, and its some tough stuff for sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The jeep Look good.
I would use an Imron It cost more but hold up allot better than the nason.
I also used valspar single stage.
On MV I just use CARC to top coat th finish her right.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I once had a customer (when I was in another line of work) who was a paint chemist for Sherwin-Williams. His words of wisdom were that most of the paint being sold into the MV hobby at that time (10+ years ago) were "Industrial enamels" - which all lack the additives needed for UV protection. These additives evidently are expensive - and not needed for equipment going indoors (industrial) - but when applied to outdoor items, the paint "chalks".

Sound familiar?

Regards,
David Doyle

Bill W

I called Gillespie
The stuff that Rapco sells is their 11 series paint which is nothing more than Alkyd enamel ( Industrial paint ) no poly additives no nothing. As mentioned the finish will fade but it took my deuce about 4+ years of sitting out inthe So.Fla sun to get to the point where I thought about repainting it ( I had also used a Synthetic hardner ). The plus about Alkyd paint is that its one of the most forgiving paints to shoot, you really have to work hard to make it run. As far as Hardners go ( not that anyone asked ) Gillespie recomends "Montana 2000" hardner which is sold through venders that sell Dupont paint products or you can use any Universal alkyd hardner or basicly any oil base paint hardner., I went and bought Valspar hardner(16oz cans ) from Tractor supply and will be using that with the Gillespie WWII semi-gloss in the next few weeks on my current M-35

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks