• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nasty sound when rolling in reverse

DIESELGREEN

Ok, already did the searching and was only able to come up with things like issues with the parking brake... So here's the question. Have a 70 deuce with multifuel, and suddenly is making a nasty grind/clunk sound, seems like from the tranny, when reversing or even rolling backwards in neutral. All forward gears are perfect, high or low range. Even does it rolling back with the t-case in neutral. I have a pretty steep incline in my driveway, and if rolling back slow enough it will actually STOP the truck on the hill. Any Ideas of where I should start?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, you did confirm all three parking brake springs are there, and the parking brake is adjusted and working properly?

DIESELGREEN

So, you did confirm all three parking brake springs are there, and the parking brake is adjusted and working properly?
Yeah bud, all 3 are there and the drum is not loose. I even backed the cable tension all the way off to make sure nothing was binding up, still same issue. It really sounds like it might be coming from the transmission. Today it was worse than ever. I thought I was gonna shell it out just rolling back. BTW, loved the wig at the GA rally--

oldshep

My truck is an air shift, no parking brake, and pinion bearings are new. When the truck is going backwards(only inreverse, with clutch engaged or disengaged) the trans makes what i would describe as a "nashing" of teeth sound. Its not as bad when the t case is in low range though. When you push in the clutch and are still rolling backwards the sound is terrible. Its never gotten worse though.

ODdave

Yes, If you had the sprauge style there might have been a chance it was broken. If you have the switch on the dash you dont have a sprauge to worry about. Eliminates one thing that could be causing it.

DIESELGREEN

Yes, If you had the sprauge style there might have been a chance it was broken. If you have the switch on the dash you dont have a sprauge to worry about. Eliminates one thing that could be causing it.
I went out to double check also,there is one cable return spring and a release spring for the parking brake shoes, I'm not sure where a third one would even go...I'm trying to eliminate the park brake, I'm pretty sure I have. I loosened the cable and looked at it, clears both sides of the drum ok seems like. I swear itt sounds like the trans, makes the same sound whether t-case is in neutral, hi/lo reverse, clutch engaged or disengaged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks