• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Naval or Silo Battery Pack Source

bimota

Does anyone know where you can buy surplus very large battery packs? I mean big, big, big batteries from submarine electric motors or missile silo batteries backups.

I've tried GL for last couple years and nothing like this comes up. 200 ton gun barrels yes, whole barges yes, but a giant used battery pack, no.

Suggestions?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have not been on boats since the 70's and the battery compt was not one of the joy areas of the boat. If I remember each cell only put out about 2v when in good shape a Butt load of amps and weight about 1,600 pounds, can't remember how many gallons of acid. I think ours were made by Exide

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Westy's right. The really big batteries that I've seen are single cells with a clear case, several feet tall. They are arranged in banks (think heavy steel framing) and many of the parts can be swapped out, esp. the huge lead plates. They are probably rebuilt and almost never sent to scrap as a complete item. Check old data centers that are being torn down, as they usually have battery backup systems. Be prepared for sticker shock!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Locomotive batteries are easy to get but really heavy. About 475ah and 350lbs. 8volts, 2volt cells.

I'm getting a few from work and they have a little life left, I plan to either build an electric truck to drive to work or use them for a solar bank until I can afford new batteries

ryan77

The scrap value is so high now on batteries a used car battery will get you 12-15 bucks in scrap, I just took in 2 6tl got 40 bucks for them at the scrap yard!!!!!

bimota

Thanks, a couple good suggestions. Locomotive batteries sound interesting - where and how do you find them? I currently use forklift batteries and after doing significant research and now supporting off grid home owners (strategic long term types) not the once in awhile cabin owners I always recommend the forklift batteries. The unit I have now is 1100amp hours, 3000 lbs and cost me $5000. I'm building some demonstration mini-grids using military surplus and misc parts and need several large batteries (the bigger the better). I often find the glass mat sealed batteries used in cell sites but they have issues for off grid use and old school lead acid - with huge plates and very heavy still last the longest. Hence the interest in submarine, locomotive and other large motor driven battery packs. Please let me know where there may be sources.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got 16 or so of the locomotive batteries at the RR museum. Most will be ok for low draw long term, but their locomotive starting capabilities have deminished enough to replace them.

We were going to scrap them, so if you pay the same price or a little more (don't know what the board will ask for) then you can probably buy them from us.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you are looking for surplus, but I remember Interstate Batteries had a tremendous catalog. Maybe there is a battery manufacturer near you who can bid on your optimal configuration, or has a on-the-shelf battery that you can adapt to suit your needs.

Utilizing end of life products, especially big, heavy items sounds like a lot of work.

Rick

bimota

Rick, you are absolutely correct. My projects are very long term so the logistics can be amortized and one reason I am interested in military or other large batteries is because I may be able to get some real history. The telecom batteries never come with any history and are usually not rebuild able like most large lead acids.

Fill me in on how in Costa Rica you deal with the logistics of mil surplus - do you truck loads down? I'd like to retire down that way and always wondered if you rolled thru town with 30 tons of military surplus if anyone would care - maybe that should be another thread.

Also, the offer of the locomotive batteries in very interesting, are there any specifications or history of the batteries available. I may be willing to offer more than scrap if the specs and logistics pan out.

Thank you,