• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

navy m35a2c

m715

I bought another duce today sight unseen except for some poor pics. The seller says it has a non turbo white L 465 1c motor and a 25 amp alternator. The exhaust runs under the truck. The data tag ID says 4K-8810 contract 34140. On the doors is US navy 21-72510. Does not have a drop side bed. Anyone have any helpful info on this truck.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If the data tag says 4K, I think it's '66-'68. Need the VIN. Probably starts with something like 0125-

25A alternator? Do you mean generator? The generators are 25A, the alternators are 60A.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
21-72510 is a Navy number but not for a deuce. If it were a deuce is should start with 95. Then again, it sounds like a very old truck. How about sharing the poor pics?

m715

The 21-72510 is clearly painted on the door. Really its the only number I am not confused about. The other photos posted by the seller of both the sf97 and the truck and data plates are less clear. The 97 says vin unknown and year unknown. The info on the data plate is not stamped but eclectic penciled. The 97 does say m35a2c, I thought all a2c were rebuilt motors and drop side beds. This truck seems to be a 1967 or so. Why would this truck still have a non turbo motor? This truck was sold by drmo in Tobyhanna pa in 1994. This truck is the original navy color green with a small amount of black on the hood and some brown on the toolbox. This is not a camo but looks like more to stop rust. The truck has a winch and the bumper looks newer than the rest . I bought this from ebay as its kinda close to me and I needed the winch. Now I need to get this from Dryden ny to Easthampton ma. then I can see what I bought.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep in mind, the sf-97 in someone elses name will be useless to you.

m715

Thanks doghead, I understand that. The sellers ad said the truck came with a clear title, that's another reason I bought it. In trying to decide how to get this home, by driving or towing. I asked the seller weather ny. issued temp plates, thinking it had a ny. title. That's when I find they only have the 97 and some papers from a auction they bought it from. I told the seller that 97 is not a title and is in someone's else name from 1994. I am waiting to see a pic of whatever paperwork they have, it may have been a state auction.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM me a number to call you at, I have some info that might help with titling it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The number in the contract # location of the data tag is your chassis(vin) number. It will be acceptable as a vin.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see any exhaust pipes at all. Can't see a fender hole either.

The winch cable side guide is missing.

I cant tell if there is a tachometer next to the speedometer. Multifuel trucks (earlier trucks with gas motors) had a smaller panel, and if they added a multi fuel motor they added a tach under the dash(because the smaller gasser panel had no space for it)

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
With the 01 at the beginning of the serial number I'm guessing it was built either in 1966 or 67. The data tag is obviously not original so I'd check the frame number to confirm the s/n. It looks to me like the exhaust ends at the rear tires which is found on the early multifuel trucks. The winch mount in the pic is the old style usually found on gassers.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Notice the name George Schott on the sf97...

Maine address

m715

Thanks doghead, for posting pics for me. I don't know how to do much on a pc. I was told the truck runs good. I talked to the mechanic who worked on this truck for his boss who owns a gravel company. He said he worked on the brakes and they are fine. He also fixed the heater and lights so at least that's something good. I don't think this will have a air shift axle, and am unsure what model tranny it has. I will be looking for a turbo and exhaust for sure. I see the seat covers are worn, however I was told the top is good. I need to get it home to know what else I will be looking for.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give Larry a call tonight, he's interested in hauling it for you. He texted me again about it. He's a good guy and about in the middle of the trip.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some "clean air kits", which contains everything you need to add a turbo except the turbo. Complete exhaust kit. I think they have the turbo oil lines too if I remember right.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aw, leave the rear exit exhaust. It's too fun to pull alongside pedestrians and ask "need a smoke?"

m715

Where is the muffler on this type exhaust I can only remember them being under the pass side fender? Are those mirror arms just a early style, or was something mounted in the bed that required them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mirrors are an early style before the "west coast" style mirrors became standard. Along the same time as yours they used some on a sinlge pole that really vibrate badly. Yours are often called elephant ear mirrors.

I think your muffler is under the passenger floor near the rear of the cab.