• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Navy Vehicle Numbering

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: SeaBee logo on the pocket

Amanco, do you know the numbering system for the Seabees trucks? I'm told the first 2 numbers denotes the type of truck it is. This true? My NMMCB74 pipeline truck started with 95.

amanco

SeaBee Truck Markings

Kenny~

I am researching the truck number nomenclature. I will get it figured out. So far I have talked to a CM1(ret) (Construction mechanic E-6) who had this to say:

Hello Keith,

I was a CM for 20 years and had some experience with NAVFAC and the numbering system. You are correct in that the first 2 digits denote what type of vehicle it is ... to a degree. If I remember right all 1/2 ton trucks whether they be chevy or ford or dodge, they started with a 94. I think buses were 92, deuce and halfs 95, 5 tons 96, trailers were 97 (I am really reaching into my dim past to retrieve these numbers. The other 5 numbers were a serial number I guess. I know the vehicles were numbered consecutively as they entered the system. I don't know if they used the same system back in the early 50's or not. I would be surprised to learn that they did. I hope this helps you!

Regards,
Paul Hewitt CM1(ret)

I am going to see if I can get in touch with an active duty Alpha company type and get the skinny on the numbers for sure. I will go to the Seabee museum in Gulfport, MS the next time I am down there. They have a tremendous collection of deployment cruse books. That should be a good source for period markings on 1940's, 1950's and 1960's vehicles.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: SeaBee Truck Markings

That is excellent information for sure. I'm going back through all my pics to see if it all matches up. Looks like it does.
Thanks so much.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: SeaBee Truck Markings

I saw to HMMWV's on a tractor trailer tonight and they were US Navy. The #'s on the tailgates were "94-xxxxxx". Sorry, no pics, it was after dark.

amanco

Ok, I got the low down now! The system by which the NAVY asigns numbers to any equipment (any thing from a grader to a mobile asphalt plant to a car, truck or railway locomotive) is outlined in the NAVFAC P-300 manual. Registration numbers are outlined on pg 67 of 432. This manual is found as a PDF at https://www.cecos.navy.mil/pdffiles/p-300.pdf And just in case the URL changes or who knows what, I will outline some vehicles here for posterity:
90-xxxxx Series of numbers are for Passenger vehicles, trucks and trailers Including:
  • 91-xxxxx = Bus, 92-xxxxx = Sedan, 93-xxxxx = Station Wagon or carryall truck, 94-xxxxx = Truck, light up to 10,000LB GVW, 95-xxxxx = Truck, medium 10,001 to 23,999LB GVW, 96-xxxxx = Truck, heavy 24,000LB GVW and up, 97-xxxxx Trailer, 98-xxxxx = Motorcycle and scooter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great Scott Amanco, you've done it. All the years I've been asking and it was on the web. Fooey! Anyways folks, that manual is approved for public release and I'll post it up on the forum here shortly.
Thanks Again Amanco,
Kenny

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks