• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NC. Beach Driving for MV's

GoHot229

Well it seems the tree people and audoban and all the wack jobs would just as soon see that no-one gets to drive their vehicles of any kind on our PUBLIC beaches or coastal areas. Well having a Deuce, I would like to take a trip and drive the beach sands here in North Carolina. Just an easy, top off cruise up or down the coast...... but where can you still do that in North and South Carolina? If you ask, you get as many answers as stars in the sky, half the answers absolutly sure that a friend of the gardeners daughters fiance's dad said was where it was still open to drive.....ok you know what I mean...so much erronious information out there, and everyone with an opinion. Well have any of you members out there in the forum had an opportunity to use the coastal beaches anytime this year? Where abouts did you go? Was there an admission or permit needed? And was it even worth making the trip to? Like I say, mabe a couple friends and family and sleeping bags, some fishing poles, a bonfire on the sand, an overnighter, a drive for a fiew miles up and down the beach....no terrorizing the sea turtles or sea gulls just a low key time of it. So are there any suggestions and times these areas are open?

DeuceNewb

Come on down to carolina beach. I go out there at least once a week
Freeman Park Registration Form
you can camp, make fires, and have a good old time. (plus everyone will love you when you roll out on the beach in a deuce)

the only bad thing about there is that they raised their price this summer up to $20 for a day pass or $60 for a year. But i still pay because i love the beach and i still think it's well worth it.

then a few miles down the road is Fort Fisher
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: Fort Fisher State Recreation Area - Activities
$10 a day $40 a year. You can't camp there and they aren't open 24/7. but there's good fishing.

I would say go to carolina beach. Let me know when you're going to go and i'll come meet up with you. My apartment is 20 min from the entrance to the sand.

Sometime next month, our club the CMVPA is planning a beach run and camping out for the weekend, so we'll have a group of deuces and other MV's out there.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't gotten my duece yet, but here in west Texas I've already had OPEN RANCH offers from several ranchers knowing I'll be getting a 6x6. The deal here is---
"As long as y'all push down some Mesquite and brush whilst ya play... and don't scare the dang sheep too bad ya can do all the "Duecing" y'all wanna do on my place!... Oh, and don't ferget to lock the gate when y'all leave."

jmh4x4

There is about 4-5 miles (maybe more depending on ongoing closures) of open beach out on Cape Hatteras, varies week to week depending on turtles and the piping plover. Its free just need to be off the beach by like 10 pm. The sand is way soft, you will really need to air your tires down.

check out this site
Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

good luck in your endevours in finding an open beach anymore, it seems like its going the way of the dodo.

obxron

You can run on the beach north of Corolla where the pavement ends all the way to "the fence" or the border with Virginia (about 15 miles of beach) the beach up there is officially called NC RT 12 that is the only way to the communities up there. You do have to be aware of the tide table and wild horses when travelling this area.

DeuceNewb

yeh I love the outer banks. We make it out there at least once a summer in our jeeps. But i'm lucky to go to school only a 15 min drive from 2 different beaches that allow ohv traffic. and it's a little closer to charlotte than the outerbanks.....

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help me understand about beach driving. I was warned by the locals not to take the M35 (20K lbs with the shelter and all) out onto the beach (padre island, TX) becaue it could get stuck. They allow dune buggys and cars.. sometimes I suppose people get stuck.. I did drive a car out there some decades back, and we stuck to the hard packed sand, avoided the wet areas.. and kept moving..

so what is the trick to driving a deuce on sand? Is low air pressure the key? It has 11.00x20's, duals on the rears. I would not think it would just sink into the sand but I don't know.

I suppose a 5 ton with hemmt tires, very wide and lots of clearance.. would be better.

Thanks for any wisdom about this topic.

Josh

I take mine in the sand about once every 1-3 months. Drop the front tires to 20lbs if there are any long hills or you are having trouble and you should have no issues. I drag a 8klb trailer and prob 2k worth of camping stuff+ wood in the truck and have no issues even in the soft stuff. Momentum is key, if its on an upkill keep her wide open(with in reason of coarse). Only when I have to pull something heavy(like a f350) thats stuck out, do i air down the OUTSIDE rear duals. Have yet to need to air down the insides.

Last edited:

Snarky

I would be afraid to take my deuce on the beach with NDTs or dual rear wheels. It seems like they would just slice down in the sand regardless of tire pressure, but that's just my opinion. My super singles can hang out in the soft stuff all day long with no issues, even in stuff that swallows pickups. The only thing I really wish I had is a locker on at least one of the axles.

jollyroger

Cool Post. I love it. Living in a landlocked state I have always dreamt of driving on the beach. I took a trip to Houston with a friend of mine to pick up his LJ Jeep. This was in January of 08. We drove down to Galveston and drove out on the beach by the resorts. We got kicked out by the PoPo cause they had the beach closed. Then we took the ferry across to the penisula to the East. The area got to be more rural and we were able to drive right out on the beach. What an awesome thing to do. Word of advice. DON'T drive fast enough to spray sea water all over the vehicle. The sea water WILL contaminate your electrical wiring and light bulb sockets and sensors/sending units. We did not do this but we have a friend that did do this in Oregon. Big prolems after that. I will post some pics.:-D

Attachments

jollyroger

Oh yeah. I forgot. You will get a feel for the sand. The harder packed sand was easy. The softer stuff took some throttle adjustments here or there to keep the Jeep from hopping. We found that if we stayed about 5-10 mph with low throttle inputs we were fine. If we wanted to accelerate quickly we would hop. If you start to hop back off the trottle but don't let off all the way. If you let off all the way you will stop. We did not air down as we did not have a compressor. Airing down would have helped. I did include a pic with a pool on the beach. There were some of those that we could not see water in until you were in them. Watch out as you can sink in the pools real quick as they are super soft. Don't leave the vehicle in the water very long for taking pics. The waves wash the sand away from the tires quickly and soon you will be up to the axles. Have a friend out and staged to take the pic. Drive into the water. Sit long enough to take the pic and get moving. This is the extent of my knowledge and advice from the ONE trip I took out on the sand. I am sure the other more experienced guys will be able to give you better tips on what to do and in particular with a deuce.;-)

DeuceNewb

I would be afraid to take my deuce on the beach with NDTs or dual rear wheels. It seems like they would just slice down in the sand regardless of tire pressure, but that's just my opinion. My super singles can hang out in the soft stuff all day long with no issues, even in stuff that swallows pickups. The only thing I really wish I had is a locker on at least one of the axles.

don't be afraid to take the deuce on the beach with duals. it does awesome. The only time i've ever aired down was with my m109 on windy days where the sand was really soft. I dropped the front tires down to 35 and it did great. I drive on the beach all the time, i'm 8 miles from the beach. I've towed a busted truck 3 miles down the beach. The key is to just use low range and take it easy, about 10mph on a soft day. Although, I have had mine up to 47 on the sand. A bit scary, but also tons of fun!!!!!

stumps

One thing to remember about driving on ocean beach sand is the sand is about as salty as the water. You still should wash your truck down inside and out, or you will get corrosion.

-Chuck

srodocker

thats a sweet looking ferry i grew up on a island for 14years 2/3rds of my life and it was sweet had to take a ferry to school everyday to school :)

Josh

The only time you should fear driving the deuce in the sand is when you drive down a steep hill and there isnt another way out.

Also third gear lowrange is best for cruising, and if there are any long hill(not even steep) keep it around 2400-2500 in third. My truck cant push 4th gear lowrange on a hill even empty, and by the time you make the downshift you almost come to a stop.