• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NC Registration

pittdog

whats the problem folks.... took the old title to dmv... told them to give me a weighted tag for 14.000 lbs...for a amg ..72..proof of ins...wala ! i'm drivin her !got the new title in a week !.... bingo !

GoHot229

The truck weighs 13,030 pounds WO/W and 13,530 with the winch. Plus any additional weight you want to carry in the truck. At least that is what the "lady" at the DMV told me. I was dumbfounded when they told me that I had to get a tag with the weight of the truck included, Just a money racket if you ask me.aua
I see your aggrivation and sympathise about all the 'seemingly' hassel. but I think your going to have to pay around 300 when its all said and done. Neil hendrix just did his, I'm about to do mine next month as funds are available, but I am going 'weighted' and as I said in the first couple posts Your probably going to find it somewhat simmilar to what I'v already stated as to what they told me (DMV)

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NCDMV hasn't communicated things the best either. I am lucky that the guy at the feed store/license plate agency told me when they changed the law for weighted tags a few years ago or I wouldn't have known about it. I am now carrying 14k on our 3/4ton pickup because DMV says you must be licensed for the total weight of the truck and towed load. It adds up quick when you add in the weight of the equipment trailer, tractor etc. I am thinking I'll also have to put weighted tags on Ol' Blue when I get her on the road later this year.

GoHot229

so ill get tags for 26k so i can haul about 12k if needed
Dont think it works that way.....since the GVW on the dash + 5,000lbs is less than 20,000lbs. Dont think you can pick a higher weight limit to haul other than the specs on the vehicle. in otherwords your not going to liscence a Dodge dually one ton for a five ton load, number one its goina break the dually and number two the DMV wont do it. The thing there is you get into braking capabilities, tire weight ratings and just the structual integrity of a one ton rated vehicle carrying 4x more load. ............................................unless duh..... you were saying that in sarcasem

Last edited:

GoHot229

whats the problem folks.... took the old title to dmv... told them to give me a weighted tag for 14.000 lbs...for a amg ..72..proof of ins...wala ! i'm drivin her !got the new title in a week !.... bingo !
See now PITDOG, slid right through, it's all about how clever they are at DMV. the guy I got was an instructor at a new DMV here in town, so I'm sure I got THE right info, as he was THOROUGH. A thought comes to mind though: if you do get a misguided incorrect liscense at DMV and go along useing it thinking your fine, it might be that the Highway Patrol stops you and they DO KNOW vehicle codes, and your not going to get past them with all these varrious inconsistancies. They know what is exactly correct and proper, where the DMV girl or guy may not, by virtue of rarely even doing MV's

Last edited:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Call the DMV in Raleigh today , main office . Ask them if you can have an Antique tag at 10,001 lbs - 26,000 lbs , tell us what they say.

Then this thread can be done with along with the other 15 threads on "Geese im in NC and need tags"

As far as what I was told by them you canot have an Antique tag over 10K , anything over 10K needs a Weighted Not a Commericial tag . Thats why you see SUV's and Pick Ups with Weighted plates so they can pull there boats etc.

Like I said , all of you call them (the people that want to know) beacause theres some errors at your local DMV's that need to be fixed before you get your 800 dollar fine and still have to pay to fix your plates.

I just want to help yall, really.

pittdog

ain't haulin nuttin ..... i'm good .... no commercial stuff.... spare tire Xtra.... and some parade stuff.... cop down the street just confirmed it