• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nchittendons m105 camper kick off

nchittendon

I decided a while ago that I was going to turn my M105 into a camper. At that point, it was myself, my wife, and my 2 boys. At the time, they were 8 and 3.

So, I started with this....
20150731_193654.jpg

My deuce is tan, so I decided to switch it over as soon as possible. Got the trailer for $500. During the repaint, I removed all reflectors and data plates. Replaced all hardware with stainless.
11892225_10156087377605657_913707666318970176_n.jpg20150731_192036.jpg20150810_155746.jpg

Then I started on the bunks. I'm 300lbs by myself. My wife is all of 120 with rocks in her pockets. And i'm not against her snuggling close. So I figured a twin mattress would fit just right across the front of the trailer. I was going to do 2 side bunks for the kids.
11822476_10156048200160657_7255663918154033646_n.jpg

But then the inevitable happened....we had a 3rd child last October. Back to the drawing board!!!

The project was on hold for a while as we bought a new house, had a baby, etc, etc. And a couple of major things too. In the mean time it was storage for my MRAP wheels and XL's I picked up while I pieced the rest together for the deuce.

The last month or so I've been back at it! I decided to keep the twin bunk in the front. But went with these for the 2 older boys:
20170606_144007.jpg

I bought this off of Amazon. There was a bit of sticker shock, but in my opinion, well worth it!! They pack up into a bag a little bigger than a brief case (one for each bunk), they hold 200lbs (per bunk), and they are super easy to assemble. I'll probably pick up another set once the baby gets a little older.

This is where I am as of right now. The next step is to get the kid's bunk a little higher to clear the wheel well. I'm going to try to mirror anything I do so I can either unstack these ones, or get a 2nd pair on the other side. I will still have storage under them, and they will still be very easily removable.

Other plans include:
~ insulation
~ front "wall" with windows that I can open
~ rear "wall" with door and windows that can open
~ shore power
~ eventually I would like solar power
~ mount a receiver hitch on the back for a bike rack
~ truck storage boxes (like on flatbed semi trailers) under the front on each side

nchittendon

Well, we had our maiden voyage! Quite a few things learned, but an overall success in my book. I don't have the skills/tools/resources that some of you artists do, but I think our little camper is shaping up nicely. Feel free to comment, or throw suggestions my way. I'm always open to new ideas from those who have done it.

For the first trip we went to a campground about 7 miles from home. 1) so momma and the baby could visit the "men." 2) so if we forgot any essentials, we could easily replenish. Bear in mind, it's been well over 20 years since i went camping in any fashion.

20046502_10159317669425657_3546972340870139907_n.jpg20155831_10159317671370657_8687638997613736585_n.jpg20139926_10159317669700657_7075006179162513716_n.jpg20108327_10159317671510657_2202352875375388235_n.jpg20046774_10159317672160657_2333682844313925032_n.jpg20245480_10159317672105657_6673705790353625537_n.jpg

Attachments

Another Ahab

For the first trip we went to a campground about 7 miles from home. 1) so momma and the baby could visit the "men." 2) so if we forgot any essentials, we could easily replenish. Bear in mind, it's been well over 20 years since i went camping in any fashion.
Your rig and set-up looks great.

And the "dry-run" was a brilliant idea, close to home so you could work out any bugs that might pop-up. Smart thinking! :beer:

rustystud

Your rig and set-up looks great.

And the "dry-run" was a brilliant idea, close to home so you could work out any bugs that might pop-up. Smart thinking! :beer:
Totally agree with Ahab here. A good "dry" run is always needed to get the bugs out. Love your family too ! Your a "blessed" man to have three good sons !

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the boys had a great time; they'll always remember those outings.

Question though, why the trailer? It seems like there would be more room in the back of the truck, and easier to maneuver.

nchittendon

Totally agree with Ahab here. A good "dry" run is always needed to get the bugs out. Love your family too ! Your a "blessed" man to have three good sons !
Thank you.
I am very blessed indeed. My boys are 10, 5, and now 9 months for the little guy. The older ones are super polite, and respectful, and we get compliments everywhere we go. I never got the TM, so I can only assume i'm doing it right.

nchittendon

Question though, why the trailer? It seems like there would be more room in the back of the truck, and easier to maneuver.
Excellent question.
So, try to follow my thought process as it derails regularly......

1) at first just had the truck. first thought was to convert the back into a mobile camper rig. I was inspired by Jenn's 5 ton that John built. Stared at those pictures for hours. But then I hauled my first 9000lbs of rock with it. Realized that it has so many uses I couldn't just tie it up with only being a camper.

2) We tried the idea on for size. A couple air mattresses, some board games, and a hellova storm. It was the best sleep I ever had!
0827141650.jpg That was myself, momma, and the two older boys back in 2014. I was trying desperately to find a way for momma to at least admit the truck was cool and useful. Although she had fun, and the boys had fun, she still was not convinced it was a smart purchase.

3) Got the trailer for $500. It was in great shape. Tires were a little dry rotted, but I had some sitting around that were brand new. The bows, cover, everything was in great shape. Couldn't pass it up. But now I have a trailer in my yard, and i'm not quite sure the path I want to choose. Convert the truck, and have the trailer for whatever comes along? Or convert the trailer and just be able to hook it and go when the mood hits to go camping?

4) with myself, momma, and the 2 boys........the camper would be a perfect little bungalow. The twin mattress across the front would mean that momma would HAVE to snuggle close. And a bunk over each wheel well for each boy. Lots of storage options, and very versatile.

5) started construction. Got part way into it, and landed a great deal on some 395's. Snagged them up, but didn't tell the wife. lol, I know, I know. Stowed them away in the trailer for the time being. Sourced some MRAP wheels. Shoved them in the trailer while I collected the other parts for that job. In the mean time, what do ya know? We're pregnant again. Well.....that changes things. Did the hub flip and wheel conversion on the truck, and then started crackin on the trailer camper build again. Finding mattresses to fit my needs on the smaller bunks was proving difficult without going full custom. My wife actually showed me the bunks that we have now. Amazing purchase. Got the trailer to the point that the boys and I could lay our heads. And that's when we did our dry run.

6) but alas, I have many new problems to face. The truck only seats 3. We have 5.
The trailer only sleeps 4. We have 5.

So, the new ideas started filling my head while on our camping trip. Here's what I came up with..........

~ make the truck a 4 door. I would shorten the stock bed to 8 feet. Stick another cab on the back of the existing one. back to back. Ok, now the truck has room to haul everyone.
~ The trailer is just not big enough for a family of 5. with 3 of us in there, it was perfect. Literally perfect. Momma and the baby didn't stay overnight with us, they ran home to sleep. But for the boys and I, it couldn't have worked better.
~ The truck will be turned into the Parent's suite, and the kids will sleep in the trailer. I bounced the idea off of momma and she didn't object. I would rather start with an M109, but this is what I have. And the truck is solid, and a good runner, so I would hate to have to start fresh with a new girl in the stable.

Another Ahab

Thank you.
I am very blessed indeed. My boys are 10, 5, and now 9 months for the little guy. The older ones are super polite, and respectful, and we get compliments everywhere we go. I never got the TM, so I can only assume i'm doing it right.
I got a longer story about this (it's local, and involved fatalities), but do you know the old saying about "assuming" anything?!

nchittendon

20170729_182603.jpg

Did some more work in preparation for this coming weekend. Got my front window installed. Got the trailer boxed in on the sides and roof. Got the trailer insulated. Also started running wire for outlets. Will have more pics once these tasks are completed.

Still need to finish wiring outlets, and build back wall with window and door. Should be caulking everything up today.

nchittendon

I work 3rd shift for a company, and get done with work at 0430 (scheduled). Usually not done until about 0600. We had a quarterly meeting come up recently, and the meeting was at 10:00. So, i took my truck/trailer to work with me, showered at work after my shift, and took a quick snooze in the trailer. They all thought I was dedicated hard core employee material.

dmetalmiki

I got a longer story about this (it's local, and involved fatalities), but do you know the old saying about "assuming" anything?!
?. what is 'this'?. And to do with the camper conversion and family fun post? 'Sorta mellowed my 'joy' at that point in the families progress. (P.M. me 'the story event' if it is that grim and would effect this guys excellent progress to date.) OR post up if members should take due note..safety? or other issue.

dmetalmiki

Up to now, great, great, and even more 'great!'. Fantastic work by your good self. Great truck. Great trailer. Great family. Enjoy, all of you. And watching and waiting for more pictures and ongoing work progress.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NEVER assume anything!!
Assumption is the Mother of all F... ups.

I think that’s what he was referring to.

Another Ahab

Tinstar "hit the nail on the head":

- I was talking the risk we take when we assume something (without having all the details in hand)

Locally here there is a big general contractor called Clark Construction (started locally, now nationwide). All their cast-in-place concrete work was done by another local shop named Miller & Long.

Years ago (decades) there was a large influx of Mexican immigrants into the D.C. area. Miller & Long was one of the first companies to hire from this group for their labor pool.

A large mid-rise project called the Skyline Plaza here in Northern Virginia was going up in the 70's. Chas. E. Smith was the developer, Clark did almost all of Smith's work, and Miller & Long did almost all of Clark's structural concrete work.

A Miller & Long foreman ran into a crew of his laborers stripping forms off a floor slab. He wasn't sure that was a good idea. He asked the crew, "Are you sure those forms are ready to strip?". He assumed they spoke english.

No one in the crew spoke a word of english (or if they did, it was very limited). When you don't speak the language, and a person of authority asks a question, and you're nervous about your standing and maybe getting in trouble for something, the universal default is shaking your head "yes".

Well, the foreman was right, the concrete in the slab was still green.

A break in the chain of command, a misunderstanding, and the error of mis-communication contributed to the disaster that soon followed.

The slab failed, and falling onto the slab below it, it started a pancaking chain reaction as slab after slab failed under the unexpected loads from above. Of course there were fatalities, fortunately the other trades hadn't manned the job heavy yet as the project was still mostly a concrete operation, so that detail helped reduce the death and injuries.

For a while in the business, Miller & Long was referred to as "Killer & Wrong". It was bad.

And all because people made some assumptions (without getting all the details).

The spanish teacher of my high school soon thereafter got the VP job as Human Resources for Miller & Long. They had learned their lesson. The End.

Last edited:

hplacess

Well, we had our maiden voyage! Quite a few things learned, but an overall success in my book. I don't have the skills/tools/resources that some of you artists do, but I think our little camper is shaping up nicely. Feel free to comment, or throw suggestions my way. I'm always open to new ideas from those who have done it.

View attachment 690561View attachment 690570View attachment 690568View attachment 690566View attachment 690564View attachment 690571

thank you for sharing the ongoing story of your camper build.

thanks for sharing the pics of your wonderful family.

please keep those pics and details coming!

F18hornetM

Tinstar "hit the nail on the head":

- I was talking the risk we take when we assume something (without having all the details in hand)

Locally here there is a big general contractor called Clark Construction (started locally, now nationwide). All their cast-in-place concrete work was done by another local shop named Miller & Long.

Years ago (decades) there was a large influx of Mexican immigrants into the D.C. area. Miller & Long was one of the first companies to hire from this group for their labor pool.

A large mid-rise project called the Skyline Plaza here in Northern Virginia was going up in the 70's. Chas. E. Smith was the developer, Clark did almost all of Smith's work, and Miller & Long did almost all of Clark's structural concrete work.

A Miller & Long foreman ran into a crew of his laborers stripping forms off a floor slab. He wasn't sure that was a good idea. He asked the crew, "Are you sure those forms are ready to strip?". He assumed they spoke english.

No one in the crew spoke a word of english (or if they did, it was very limited). When you don't speak the language, and a person of authority asks a question, and you're nervous about your standing and maybe getting in trouble for something, the universal default is shaking your head "yes".

Well, the foreman was right, the concrete in the slab was still green.

A break in the chain of command, a misunderstanding, and the error of mis-communication contributed to the disaster that soon followed.

The slab failed, and falling onto the slab below it, it started a pancaking chain reaction as slab after slab failed under the unexpected loads from above. Of course there were fatalities, fortunately the other trades hadn't manned the job heavy yet as the project was still mostly a concrete operation, so that detail helped reduce the death and injuries.

For a while in the business, Miller & Long was referred to as "Killer & Wrong". It was bad.

And all because people made some assumptions (without getting all the details).

The spanish teacher of my high school soon thereafter got the VP job as Human Resources for Miller & Long. They had learned their lesson. The End.

I'm not sure, but i think your talking about concrete and poor management. I thought he was talking about raising quality children, best he knows how. "assuming he is doing the right thing with them" thats all of us who have children and grand children. I am sure none of you assumed or hoped you were doing the right things with your kids?? The only measurement we have in our success of raising good kids is how they conduct themselves, their discipline etc. Maybe I'm way off here just didn't see how that story fit.

Either way, great job on the trailer. The fact that you make great efforts to spend time with your children is priceless!!! Thank you for the pictures and God bless your family

Last edited:

nchittendon

Thanks guys. For the most part the project is on hold now until next spring. We'll see how it holds up during winter (heavy snow) and see what improvements need to be made in the spring. I am going to try to source a couple of 5 ton storage boxes that I can mount under the front of the trailer (each side in front of the wheels) for storage on the outside so we don't need to go into the trailer for things like an extra extension cord, etc.

Also, had thought about spraying the roof down with Flex Seal. Anyone ever use it? I don't currently have leaks, but don't want any to develop either. With ice/snow/standing water all winter leaks can develop quickly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks