• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nebulous, M1009

kkcshipp

Friday I became the proud (and crazy says my wife) owner of a 1986 M1009 with 60k miles on the odometer. I plan on making this a project for my son and I to tackle during his last year of High School; of course he thinks it is cool and wants to drive it to school. Nebulous is the name of the truck as it is hard to explain to those who don't know, haven't been there, haven't done that. I have some mechanical skills but will be using MUCH information from this site and all you "experts" to get rolling. Bought it from a Police Department here in Kentucky and they said it sat for the last year and 1/2 and started right up. Minor rust issues that I'll try to show in future posts and we'll try to keep everyone up to date with photographs and questions. Oh yeah, lots of questions. Today it's getting new tires. More to follow, I hope the photo makes it.

Nebulous.jpg

rsh4364

Welcome,if its still 24v start do your self a big favor and do the doghead starter relay mod. ASAP.I really like a 33x10.5-15 on the 1009s.

Last edited:

kkcshipp

Getting tires first, others are seriously dry rotted; going with safety aspects first. :-D We did some cleaning this weekend and I declare the mud and sand from post ranges and NTC kept it from rusting. Next is seat belts as the originals are shot! We stripped one of the star bolts so I have to figure how to remove that. Taking suggestions.

Gripy

Welcome,if its still 24v start do your self a big favor and do the doghead starter relay mod. ASAP.I really like a 33x10.5-15 on the 1009s.
Do the doghead relay mod. replace all fluids, and filters. Switch Glow plugs to 12V. The relay is 10-15$ and takes 30min tops to do, it should be one of the first things you do to your vehicle.

ETA: I wouldn't go bigger than 33" tires on the stock axles.

kkcshipp

Going with 33.10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrains; they will arrive tomorrow and I'll be driving to Bible Study in it. Here are some photos; last one is the dirt. Pulled all the old and hard door seals and will probably have to order from LMC (they are about to get lots of my $). Door sill area actually looks pretty good, so I sanded and painted with etching primer. Getting inside that groove in the sill was made easier with the Dremel tools. What did the world do without those? Used a full can of PB Blaster and getting more for the future.

View attachment 580250View attachment 580251View attachment 580252Dirt.jpg

kkcshipp

I have a full weekend in Bowling Green with a tennis tournament but will read the Doghead Relay and the spin on filter as we replace oil and filter. I'll have questions I'm sure as I work through this. I'm a visualist so pictures are best for me. Too bad there isn't somebody really close who I can "lean on." Future: Glow plugs, No lift, fix rust (have somebody do it), change seats (leaving the back out), tint windows, change/upgrade headlights, LineX the interior, and maybe...just maybe LineX the exterior. I'm thinking flat black or flat green. That depends on the cost. I have a budget.

Csm Davis

If you can weld a 3/4 nut or just a big one on top of the stripped torx head bolt and while it is hot try to remove might want to soak the nut under the truck for a day or two.

KansasBobcat

Getting tires first, others are seriously dry rotted; going with safety aspects first. :-D We did some cleaning this weekend and I declare the mud and sand from post ranges and NTC kept it from rusting. Next is seat belts as the originals are shot! We stripped one of the star bolts so I have to figure how to remove that. Taking suggestions.
The torx fasteners are difficult. Try some Kroil and wire brush on the threads. Vise grips have worked for me. I would relace the torx with standard hex head. I installed 3 point HMMWV seat belts in the front. You will need to find or make some "L" brackets for inboard belts. Looking forward to your posts. I did all this in the last year. Welcome

kkcshipp

Sorry don't have the welding skill set in my toolbox. Need to find somebody close who won't charge me major $ to do it. I thought of cutting the edges and putting a socket on it. Definitely not going back to torx though.

rsh4364

The best advice I can give a new CUCV owner is look at CUCV helpful threads at top of page,and use search function for anything you cant find there.Good choice on tire size ,looks much better than the 31s.

kkcshipp

Been reading this site (and the -10 manual) for about 2 weeks now; but I'm all over the place. I need to take this sort of slowly and ensure I know what I'm doing before I jack it up. Went to open the glove box today to put in the insurance card and it fell onto the floor. I know there is something that holds that rascal in place. Going to search in a second.

kkcshipp

Been reading this site (and the -10 manual) for about 2 weeks now; but I'm all over the place. I need to take this sort of slowly and ensure I know what I'm doing before I jack it up. Went to open the glove box today to put in the insurance card and it fell onto the floor. I know there is something that holds that rascal in place. Nothing in the search section on it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably the row of screws that attach the plastic hinge to the sheetmetal or the plastic hinge has failed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks