• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need 12 volt DC source

cavetech

I just bought a M1078 and I'm excited about it. OK, it's silly.

Anyhow, I need cigarette lighter sockets to plug my power cables into for my GPS, etc.

Where can I find a 12 volt DC source to wire it into on this truck?

Thanks, Steve

coachgeo

Remove the PDP cover and 12 volts is the middle connection on the left.
PDP is Power Distribution Panel. Big one in front of passenger seat on dash.

thinking of that..... remember this board like 99% of all the other ones ..... folk can not search by 3 characters or less. Search engine won't do it. So to help folk searching for info in the future... maybe it is not best to use 2 or 3 letter abbreviations when you can?

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe it is not best to use 2 or 3 letter abbreviations when you can?
Do you think we are going to get a bunch of military guys away from abbreviations??? Short or otherwise, Good luck! :popcorn:

Yep, one of the beauties of a LMTV is the availability of 12V or 24V right in the cab! Just like your PDP at the house, there is both 120 and 240 right behind the metal cover [thumbzup]

Last edited:

cavetech

Do you think we are going to get a bunch of military guys away from abbreviations??? Short or otherwise, Good luck! :popcorn:

Yep, one of the beauties of a LMTV is the availability of 12V or 24V right in the cab! Just like your PDP at the house, there is both 120 and 240 right behind the metal cover [thumbzup]
Are you saying there is an unused circuit breaker that I can use for 12v or is there a bus of some sort I can attach to?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there are 3 threaded lugs. One ground... Then a 12V and 24V lug. On my truck, the 12 and 24 lugs have a plastic cover on them. I don't have a photo, but can get one when I get home Fri night.

The three lugs are lined up on the left side of the panel and are labeled. If you release the two cover attachment latches, they are easy to access.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found some photos of the PDP online. One is upside down, but if you zoom in, you can see the 3 power lugs. Again, they are labeled as 12V, 24V, and Ground. You would connect your wires to ground & 12V for your application.

s-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can use empty unused breaker spaces on the board. One row of breakers is 12 volt and one row 24. Just add the desired breaker in and tap off the wire on the feed side underneath. Be careful the panel main feeds, cables bolted to the underside of the panel at the 3 big lugs, are always live.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use empty unused breaker spaces on the board. One row of breakers is 12 volt and one row 24. Just add the desired breaker in and tap off the wire on the feed side underneath. Be careful the panel main feeds, cables bolted to the underside of the panel at the 3 big lugs, are always live.
Good point Suprman. He would probably want fused power. It would be cleaner to manage it that way rather than an inline fuse going to his accessory panel.

Brings up a good point here. Can I use my Cat keyed power switch (yet to be installed) on the 24V side of the power supply to the PDP to disable the truck?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also wanted to make sure my accessory plugs were not "hot" when things were off in case they caused a parasitic drain on the batteries. I tapped into the fuse for the lights so I only have power to the plugs when the lights are on.