• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need 150 mile tow Los Angeles to Ridgecrest, Ca. M932A2

earthship777

I need to have my M932A2 towed from the Los Angeles area (Montrose-La Cresenta) to Ridgecrest, California. I have built a motorhome on the tractor, but the suspenion and drivetrain are stock. Total weight about 27000Lbs. The time frame would be this summer, probably in August. I can hire a conventional heavy duty tow or flatbed, but I would prefer a steel soldier to do the mission. I get that its not cheap. Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, any information from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

earthship777

its not insured and the out of state registration is expired and California requires a CDL for this vehicle, which I don't have now (my previous residence in New Mexico did not, and I drove it here 4 years ago ....I have at least two years of work before I will put it on the road under its own power....I could take a chance and drive it up, but this machine is one of a kind and attracts lots of attention...if I got stopped by the CHP I would be screwed big time....not worth the risk

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Contact hamner towing out of Corona. Jason is a great guy and will do you right.

earthship777

sounds good.....I will, thank you.......I did a search online and was a little overwhelmed by all the heavy duty tow places in so cal......I would have to just guessed........also I need someone who knows what there doing, cause I sure as **** don't

JDToumanian

You know if it's not registered, the wheels can not be touching the road at all... So you'd need a lowboy, or maybe a single-trip permit from the DMV ($20). Without one or the other, the towing company will probably not want to do it, but even if they do, remember in CA, registration expired by more than 6 months is mandatory impoundment. Ask me how I know that one. aua

Jon

earthship777

I will try for a single trip permit, if that does not work it will have to be a lowboy. I have put thousands of hours of work into this machine, I am not going to break the law and risk losing everything. I don't know how you know....my guess its something to do with experience and not reading motor vehicle codes all day. Thanks for the information.

JDToumanian

I will try for a single trip permit, if that does not work it will have to be a lowboy. I have put thousands of hours of work into this machine, I am not going to break the law and risk losing everything. I don't know how you know....my guess its something to do with experience and not reading motor vehicle codes all day. Thanks for the information.
No problem. Yeah, my M1009 got towed back in 2010. I went to leave for work and my car had a flat tire... So I took a risk and drove the M1009, which was registered 'non-op' at the time. CHP went flying by me on the freeway, slammed on his brakes and got back behind me and lit me up. Bad day... No-show at work, back registration due, impound fees, plus the citation... I think the whole thing cost me nearly $2000. I should have just changed the tire and been a little late!

You don't have to 'apply' for a single trip permit... They don't even care what vehicle they're for. It's just a blank form, costs $20. You have to fill it out and stick it in your windshield before you move the vehicle. If you have a single trip permit that isn't filled out and you're driving with it in a vehicle that isn't registered, it's a felony same as swapping tags (that's what the DMV told me!). I buy a pile of them every time I'm at the DMV so I'm always ready to legally move stuff that I otherwise have unregistered, non-op, or title-only.

Jon

Last edited:

fasttruck

If you tow it put the pins in the rear brakes and the t case in neutral. Check towing instructions in -10 manual. Or if you have an army truck or a civi wrecker with rear air connections hook up the air lines and will brake like a trailer.

Mos68x

If ya can't do the permit and can't get it done otherwise, let me know. I might be able to help out if ya got the tow bar.

earthship777

Jon are you saying that with a single trip permit I can legally drive my truck from Los Angeles to Ridgecrest? The registration is 4 year expired New Mexico in my name, the title is in my name, and unlike New Mexico, California requires a CDL. I would also need a very short term insurance policy....I have my reasons for not getting the truck registered in CA now....when I get to my new home I will have easy access to the Mojave desert where I can drive as much as I want off paved roads. I just need to get it there and finish the work I have started, can't stay where I am, the neighbors don't like my truck and changes to the rules here are forcing me to leave.
Michael

Attachments

earthship777

the hazmat placard that you see in the picture is decorative....it can be covered or made to read "nuclear weapons"....CHP won't bother me if I have nukes....seriously, the most hazardous material on board is a can of survival ant spray.....don't even have any whisky anymore

MAdams

Call around and get prices. I had my 931 hauled on a landoll and it was $900 to go 45 miles. Insurance is $250 a year, $20 day permit from the DMV and a friend with a CDL to drive might be cheaper.

ghog50cal

No mater what it says you will get a ticket for it being it's a ticket for mis representing a load and depending on the officer and the severity of it can lead too being shut down or worse loss of driving privileges

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks