• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need a couple (late) m1031 specific pictures

Matt1031

Hi all,
Still working on getting my rig squared away. There's a couple contact maintenance truck-specific parts that have me scratching my head and I need to look at another M1031 to figure out. If somebody could snap a couple picture of these parts (or manage to find pictures from the TM) it would be a *huge* help.

My 1031 had the cylinder racks removed before I got it. I got another Oxygen bottle mount (horizontal one over generator) from a SS member and my 250 cubic foot O2 bottle fits perfectly, so that problem is solved. But.... I'm still not sure how the Acetylene cylinder (vertical mount) was originally mounted in the right forward compartment. Does anyone have a picture of the bracket and/or mounting arrangement that was originally installed? Did the Army use 145 cubic foot acteylene cylinders? Is it a "hard mount" like the O2 cylinder rack or did they just use ratchet straps?

The PTO lever has a microswitch mounted under the transmission tunnel that works (very unreliably) as a neutral safety. A pic of how it's supposed to look installed would be a big help. Mine is a bit mangled. I'm just trying to figure out if the arm is supposed to be bent a certain way, or my switch got jammed up and it bent the lever (most likely). I'm tempted to just bypass the stupid switch because it seems like a very delicate/failure prone design and I'm the only one who uses the pto so it doesn't have to be "GI proofed" (I'm not going to try to engage the pto unless the T-case is in neutral)

If anyone can help, thanks in advance. The beer's on me next time you visit Atlanta.
-Matt

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go, the LH bracket looks to take a 7" dia cylinder, and the RH a 6" dia cylinder. Looks like a type Q bottle (75 cubic ft) fits on the left and a type T (40 cf) fits on the right. The type Q is the "owner type".

Edit: Changed the RH cylinder bracket to the same as the LH and installed both O2 and fuel cylinders. O2 is size 125 "owner type". It just barely fits inside. Jerry can bracket turned out to be a Army add-on, which had to go to make room for the O2 cylinder.

Attachments

Last edited:

Matt1031

Thanks NDT, that was *exactly* what I needed! I'll try to pay the favor forward the next time somebody needs a picture.

Well, now I know why the governor sometimes won't kick in, and other times spools up just fine. That roller arm on my switch is all bent up. I'll have my helper (kid) play with the 4wd lever while I watch underneath. Should be an easy fix to align it with that plate thingamajig in neutral, now that I know it's supposed to have a straight arm. I'm still half-tempted to bypass it altogether.

Here's a chart with tank dimensions. I have what is a code M on their chart, aka a #4 (I think), aka a "145" by my supplier. I guess the original brackets are for #3 tanks, so I'll have to make my own. But at least I have a good design to copy now :D.